View Single Post
Old 2009-04-09, 03:35   Link #48
bigsocce

Quote:
Originally Posted by bayoab View Post

It's 1.26mil with 15k @ $7/mo assuming that they pay all year round.
Let's assume they are paying 70/30. That leaves 378k/yr before overhead. That's maybe enough to cover maybe 10 staff and a full set of servers and leaves you nothing to spare.
I used 20,000 instead 15,000 because by the end of this year, they will reach that number if not surpass it.

What crunchyroll is doing is basically what fansub is doing. Showing anime. However, CR contributes money to anime industry.
Imagine if crunchyroll gets ALL the new anime coming out of Japan and showing them. Right now, CR is getting maybe 1/4 of the new anime in a licensed format.
http://animesuki.com/licensed.php

2009-03-19 Shangri-La Crunchyroll Press Release
2009-03-19 La Corda d'Oro ~secondo passo~ Crunchyroll Press Release
2009-03-19 La Corda d'Oro ~primo passo~ Crunchyroll Press Release

Imagine if CR gets Tears of Tiara, K-on, Asura Cryin' Cross Game, 07 Ghost and so on... You got 2 choices: Use crunchyroll legally or use fansubs.

With crunchyroll, the anime maker gets a large portion of the subscription and ad revenue. Is it 70%? 60%? Who know. But giving the anime studios $2 mil a year is better than $0.

As for someone saying I'm working for CR, lol. How many people read this thread? 200? CR gets 4 mil visistor. A CR PR person would concentrate on those people.

I like the vision of the future where everyone with internet can watch anime for free. However, the anime industry gets revenue from it. One day, streaming HD will be just as good as downloading HD and watching it. Look how far streaming has come in the last few years. Internet TV will be what cable TV was/is.
bigsocce is offline   Reply With Quote