View Single Post
Old 2009-08-07, 18:43   Link #267
Westlo
Lets be reality

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilentKnight View Post
Jay-Z - Honestly, I've always thought this guy was hella overrated. Using up to 3 or 4 minutes of word for word Biggie lyrics and passing it off as a tribute is BS, nothing anyone can say will ever change my opinion on that matter. I mean jeez, 3 or 4 minutes worth of Biggie lyrics as tribute? At that point, it's either a) biting his rhymes and using a cheap cop-out card, or b) practically borderline dickriding.

This is not to say that Jay-Z doesn't have talent on his own, but christ, it just seems like he half-assed some random verses and got lazy.
Sigh.. it's not biting if they reference the song and artist after the "bite". But of course this "fact" isn't as interesting as just screaming HE'S A BITER!!!. It's funny that when I broke down 70% of his bites as not biting not a single Jay-Z hater on sohh or allhiphops (back when it was good!) forums could say anything of substance.

Friend of Foe 98 (Jay-Z)

"Do me a favor dude, get 2 ice cubes I pass them
Take that ice up, for the nicest MC"

Unbelievable (Biggie)
"Get ready to die, tell God I said hi
And throw down some ice, for the nicest MC"

So that's a bite I guess.. except... let me post the next line after Jay-Z's "bite"

"Do me a favor dude, get 2 ice cubes I pass them
Take that ice up, for the nicest MC
And please yo tell Big he's Unbelievable"

So not only does he mention Big he also throws in the song name while describing Big.. yeah what a bite! Anyone who thinks Friend or Foe 98 is a bite is a moron if they actually listen to the song.

I cbf doing more but his worse bite was

Biggie - "The World Is Filled"
"When the Remi's in the system, ain't no tellin
Will I fukk em will I diss em, that's what these h0es yellin
I'm a pimp by blood, not relation
Y'all still chase on, I'll replace on, punks
Drunk of Dom"

Jay-Z - "Give It 2 Me"
"When the Remi's in the system, ain't no tellin
Will I fukk 'em will I diss 'em, that's what they be yellin
I'm a pimp by blood, not relation
Y'all be chasin, I replace them, huh?
Drunk off Crist"

Except you see C.Wallace in the writing credits which means he payed to use those lyrics which means Big's mother got money for that.. and considering that Give It 2 Me was one of the biggest hiphop tracks that year and really got the Neptunes phase off and running..

Also quoting lines and using them for choruses has been going on forever.

He did bit some lines though without doing any of the above stuff.. but that 3-4 mins is more like 1 when you look at it really.. and considering he's done over 1000 songs... yeah I guess he is lazy.
Westlo is offline   Reply With Quote