View Single Post
Old 2011-05-07, 08:42   Link #100
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reckoner View Post
the effect of what Memma is I think can skew perspective on this show quite a bit.
I agree with this. However, I don't agree with your take on how that changes the perspective on this show.

Quote:

Lets say she is a ghost. That means she's a very convenient plot device to drive Jintan and friends together rather than they naturally come together. It's a fairy tale like ending literally.
I disagree. If Menma is a ghost then she's not a "very convenient plot device", but rather an actual character, with her own goals, independence, and personality. As an actual character, and a central one at that, she is legitimately playing a key role in bringing the gang back together.

If the Menma that Jinta is seeing is a ghost, then this is as much about her as it is about the rest of the gang. In other words, this is partly about her personally moving on, Angel Beats! style.

In fact, if Menma is a ghost, this is arguably more her story than anybody else's. In many ways, she becomes the focal character, and the main plot mover.

Quote:
But on the hand, if she is simply his hallucination, Jinta's pain, then it's a whole different ball park. This means that everyone of her desires and wishes are things Jintan projects onto what he thinks of Memma. When he probably apologizes to her, he will release the guilt within him and she'll most likely disappear (Well that and probably the clearance of the friend's consciences too).
I don't think it's quite that simple.

If Jinta's Menma is a hallucination then he is very, very psychologically disturbed. Somewhat ironically, I would find this anime much darker if Jinta's Menma is a hallucination than if she's a ghost. I mean, you have to be very psychological disturbed to have daily hallucinations on this level.

Also, if Jinta's Menma is a hallucination then this story isn't really about her, per se, but rather about the rest of the gang (Jinta and Yukiatsu in particular) trying to get over her lost. In other words, it's not about fulfilling her wish, whatever that may be, but rather about Jinta et al learning to leave their past behind and finally deal with the lost of Menma, and psychologically heal from it.