View Single Post
Old 2011-09-26, 14:23   Link #24599
Kylon99

Quote:
Originally Posted by AuraTwilight View Post
The survey, and Krauss claiming one was undertaken, probably never happened. It's only mentioned once and in tandem with him revealing a bar of gold we know he doesn't have. The whole thing's a fantasy scene, imo.
I'm not sure it's useful to think of things as 'fantasy scene' or not. I'm not sure that that's how the narrative actually functions. I think it's was some kind of self-defense mechanism the fans created when they were presented with what appeared to be magic in EP2 and it wasn't meant to be how the Umineko story was to be viewed. It allowed the fans to incorrectly throw away entire scenes as 'not real' without thinking.

Maybe you're talking about how there's some kind of lie involved, right? But Umineko scenes that lie tends to still tell us something about the story or characters. Some of them, despite the magic, still retain the same beginning and ending as a non-magic explanation.

This need to be thought of in terms of what Beatrice-Yasu was trying to reveal in EP1 and 2; the sibling arguments, Krauss showing Natsuhi the gold. Of course, Rokkenjima Prime probably never happened in that way specifically, but she wrote those scenes as a reveal to us of the background. It definitely tells us what she thinks Krauss and the various siblings know.

I mean, there's no particular magic in these scenes and if we dismiss them arbitrarily... well... what's to prevent dismissal of some, most or all of the other scenes without magic in them, leaving us with a totally swiss-cheesed story? (If we dismiss the magic scenes too, then we'd basically have an empty book.)

By the way, I want to point out that these siblings are Beatrice's characters. I would doubt that she actually knew all the siblings to such a high degree and possibly took liberties with their characters. For example, Kyrie could have been a total airhead who liked to wear summer dresses and not think too much about things! Ok, maybe not. But Tooya-Battler's writing of a Happy-Happy Kinzo in EP8, I think, drives home this point; that the people themselves could've been different than they were portrayed in the media. The flip side to this is that the characters (and not the Prime versions) are fully under the control of the authors. What they know and think need to be expressed by the authors.
Kylon99 is offline   Reply With Quote