View Single Post
Old 2012-01-22, 20:57   Link #5298
ChainLegacy
廉頗

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinyRedLeaf View Post
Out of curiosity, does anyone here suffer from anosmia?

In my case, it is congenital, although I wasn't consciously aware of it until my late teens. It has had no adverse effect on my life, though it does often leave me wistful to know the smells that people describe. I could stand right next to a stall selling D24 durians and not smell a thing, but still enjoy the fruit all the same. I can "taste" just fine, but am probably not able to distinguish between flavours like others can (I can't be sure; after all, how am I to describe how I taste to people who taste normally?).

About the only time that the condition was possibly dangerous was in my second-year in university. I had just moved into my new room and had turned on the gas heater. My housemate dropped in about an hour later and exclaimed right away about the stink — the gas was leaking, and I didn't even know.
Interesting. The thing is, since people have different senses of taste, they probably have differing senses of smell. Perhaps no two people fully perceive taste the same way. Or perhaps perception is similar but reaction is different. It's so subjective and personal, it's hard to tell.
ChainLegacy is offline   Reply With Quote