View Single Post
Old 2007-02-02, 02:26   Link #207
secondsabre

AC3 vs. MP2?

Alright, I'm not exactly *new* at this whole DVD encoding thing, but suffice it to say, this is by far one of the slicker methods I've seen in my time doing it, especially since it seems to take almost all the little things that plague me into account all at once.

Now, I do have a rather odd question, and yes, I already googled it, but couldn't get the exact information I was looking for.

I've been doing the anime encode thing for a while, and most AVI's use an MP3 audio source, right? In all of the anime I've DVD'd, I've always used AC3 audio, 'cause when I find a system that works, I stick with it.

Generally, the process is to extract the MP3 file from the AVI using VDubMod, then transform it to a AC3 file (originally by using WinAmp to decode to WAV, then to AC3 via FFMPEG GUI) which I finally broke down and purchased dbPowerAmp to do (since it does a million other things that I do all the time as well).

The BeSweet system built into the script just seems to take an obscenely long time (which is really 90% my computer being a POS), far longer than switching them to AC3 via the method I've grown accustomed to. Also, I'm not really familiar with the MP2 format when it comes to DVD authoring.

What I basically want to know is if using my current method and AC3 audio (which is slightly superior to MP2, if I remember correctly) will mess anything up when I go to author these DVD's? Or should I just stick to the way the script works and use the MP2?

I'd really appreciate any insight or comments on this one!

(PS. Is it okay to replace the QuEnc exe file contained in the package with the newest version (6.1 to 7.1)? There's been quite a few updates in terms of speed and functionality, from what I understand, and I'm quite eager to see it in action. Thanks!)
secondsabre is offline   Reply With Quote