View Single Post
Old 2014-11-01, 23:14   Link #23237
HuuskerDu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ithekro View Post
There is still some interest, though I don't know if the main interested parties are paying attention. I was not part of that project, as I was more interested in the changes the genderbending would cause to the canon stories.
I am very much interested in those differences as well. In that vein I've written some fics for Kyonko that posit that events would have played out rather differently if the genders were swapped. I believe the gender swap would have a big impact on the cast and their relationships with each other. Much of the fun is just trying to imagine how things would have changed because of it.

For example, Yuuki would be forced to take a much more pro-active and interventionist role. Why? Because Kyonko is a girl who is dealing with this big athletic doofus who is a complete self-centered asshole and who is totally oblivious to the harm he causes to everyone around him. This creates physical dangers for her that simply didn't exist for Kyon. Yuuki is all too keenly aware of these dangers in protecting her.

Second, Yuki's emotional breakdown in Disappearance would have never happened in my opinion. Why? Because unlike Yuki - who was unable to deal her newfound emotions for Kyon that slowly developed during the 595 years of the Endless Summer - Yuuki is by necessity far more self-aware in his duty to pro-actively protect Kyonko from harm. And being a girl she actually has a clue about boy-girl relationships so she confides in Yuuki about her feelings early on. She jokingly calls him her guardian angel, her gallant knight, and she kisses him on the cheek. From this they rapidly develop a strong platonic relationship right at the start of the story that didn't exist between the original pair. But what would happen after that, when Yuuki began to endure the torture of the Endless Summer over 15,532 iterations and 595 years?

I had a lot of fun playing out some of this in The Realization of Haruki Suzumiya, where an older and world-weary Kyon mentors his younger counterpart in dealing with Haruki and with the fallout from the Endless Summer. The climax is the kiss that ended the world. I take it further in the sequel The Final Act of Haruki Suzumiya.