View Single Post
Old 2008-03-08, 13:43   Link #48
minhtam1638
Missing In Action

Send a message via AIM to minhtam1638
ashlay nearly stole the words out of my mouth. You can't compare Haruhi with Shana solely because of the before-and-after productions of their respective producers. ashlay made a case in point for Kyoto Animation's side, so now let me give you J.C. Staff's side.

If you think back to J.C.'s previous productions from 1/1/2003 to SnS I, you would see basically no-name animations that couldn't make top just because they are defeated even before AIR was released:

Nanaka 6/17 (2003)
Mahou Tsukai ni Taisetsu na Koto (2003)
Gunparade March ~Aratanaru Kougunka~ (2003)
Ikki Tousen (2003)
R.O.D -THE TV- (2003)
Shingetsutan Tsukihime (2003)
Ai Yori Aoshi ~Enishi~ (2003)
Maburaho (2003)
Sensei no Ojikan: Doki Doki School Hours (2004)
Hikari to Mizu no Daphne -Daphne in the Brilliant Blue- (2004)
Bōkyaku no Senritsu (2004) (a.k.a. Melody of Oblivion)
Oku-sama wa Mahō Shōjo (2005)
Karin (2005)
Gokujou Seitokai (2005)

If you think about it, these weren't successful at all, so however good they really are in terms of storyline, animation, whatever, they were pretty much planned one and done.

Shakugan no Shana turned out to be the dramatic increasing climax of J.C.'s career, and because of this, many decided to watch their preceding runs. Honey and Clover made an impact as well, and that may as well have led to a second season, planned or not planned. But, because of SnS and ultimately Zero no Tsukaima's success, J.C.'s plans may have changed in order to keep the small number of fans that they have. With that kind of pressure, what more can you expect than a decrease in quality?