View Single Post
Old 2013-05-19, 09:35   Link #176
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by artquest7@ View Post
I may be wrong about this but I believe the shrike team is actually hyperbole. It was supposed to be a strong statement about how women were being depicted in other series of the time. Killing them off was the idea that anime needed to drop the scantily clad fighting woman altogether. I read about this a long time ago though so I could be getting this wrong. Can any other gundam veterans around here chime in?
I think there’s no way to confirm whether what you said is right or wrong. As we all know, Tomino was pretty depressed when he made Victory, so killing Shrike Team as Tomino’s statement/reaction to how he feels about female pilots in mecha genre might also be possible. In addition, the episode where a bunch of female soldiers wearing nothing but bikinis fighting Victory Gundam only to seduce the pilot inside it can also be considered his statement regarding how ridiculous girls in sexy-looking suits in mecha anime is. Still, the main question to that theory is: are girls in sexy-looking getup in mecha series already that common when Victory was airing?