View Single Post
Old 2007-12-12, 12:57   Link #20
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by musashiken View Post
Yeah my bad for that statement. I was caught between wanting to fling my hugely worthless epenis at a noob(or bunch of noobs) even though I could be wrong in the first place and wanting to be nice instead and take back my words.
Yep, guess I'll go rant instead with unabashed smartass attitude.
Because that makes it so much better...

Quote:
Originally Posted by musashiken View Post
Look, point is there's no easy way for us English speakers to simplify the categories of Japanese games with just a word or two. You either go and make an effort to understand their way of terms or not at all.
Opinion understood. But don't you find it elitist as hell to go around correcting people, especially newcomers, for misclassifying an AVG as a Visual Novel, or vice-versa? To me, it does make you sound like nothing but an unabashed smartass... and to what end? And then we have the larger English fan community, which has largely embrassed "Visual Novel" as a catch-all/super-genre (visual-novels, visualnews, etc.). You going to go around telling them wisen up too? I could accept something like "Japanese Adventure Game" or "Japanese Bishoujo Game" (but not the dreadfully ironic short form, "b-game" ), but that doesn't seem to be the way the wind is blowing. Much like how "otaku" and "hentai" took on different meanings in English culture, Visual Novel may be on its way to doing the same thing (though, the fact that it was pointed out that even the average Japanese consumer doesn't distinguish between their Visual Novels and AVGs is interesting).

That being said, I don't think it makes any sense to put "18+" or "all-ages" at the top of the classification pyramid. It's a descriptor, much like "PC or console" or "PS3, XBOX360, or Wii". The age descriptor describes the audience, not the genre. When an 18+ game gets ported to a console and the ero-scenes removed, the gameplay doesn't change, the target audience does. This is why I wonder if it makes any sense to have a "what ero-games are you playing at the moment?" thread -- is the fact that they have ero scenes really the defining factor for those of us discussing it in that thread?

In any event, here's to hoping for some more diverse opinions on the matter.
relentlessflame is offline   Reply With Quote