View Single Post
Old 2011-01-10, 20:15   Link #19
SoldierOfDarkness
The Dark Knight

Location: From the deepest abyss in the world, where you think?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hooves View Post
Dont the parts you have to buy in order to build your own computer cost as much as a computer when you add them all together? Silly question but I'll eventually learn on how to build computers.. Just need to know more about them first.
Not really. The key is to be flexible and shop online. There are some computer components you can reuse from older models like DVD drivers and you can narrow your rig down to what you actually need. Do you need a HD sound? No. I usually aim for building an entire rig (Including speakers, mouse, monitor) under $1200 canadian and will wait for good deals to come up.

Plus, I hate the crap that comes with computers brought from Bestbuy or Dell.

Some places like NCIX in BC will allow you to price match items so you can buy them 30% cheaper than if you brought it in your hometown.

That and I do go to Hong Kong and China on a now and then basis and stuff there relatively speaking is cheaper

Quote:
I'm not familiar with the AMD brand. Mind recommending some lineups in case I find my current i5-750 lacking ?
It's really just personal preference, my first computer I built was through AMD and Radeon and that just stuck. If your comfortable with Intel then stick with them.

The computer I am using is has a AMD II X4 940(quad core) 3.00 GHZ with 4.00 GB and the Radeon 5700 series. This rig is at least 3-4 years old and can run anything thrown at it at max. I'm not that picky at getting super graphics so long as I can run the game properly and decently.
SoldierOfDarkness is offline   Reply With Quote