View Single Post
Old 2011-07-02, 19:37   Link #192
TheHaruhiIncarnate
Goddess

Quote:
Originally Posted by ijuinkun View Post
The "cleverness" comes in where Kyon realizes that the simple, direct solutions are what is needed instead of the convoluted ones that somebody like Koizumi would come up with. Kyon was willing to shout at Haruhi and almost slug her where a "rational" person would be afraid of her powers-driven reprisal. He was, in the end of Endless Eight, finally able to realize that, after 15,497 repeats (or 15.519 in the animated version), what Haruhi wanted was not wacky hijinks, but rather something that none of them would have even considered doing even given fifteen and a half thousand chances--he grasped that he had to do something that was intentionally out of character. Koizumi and Yuki, meanwhile, would (and perhaps had, and then given up) try an exhaustive search of possible permutations.
You do have a point. Kyon is what really grounds Haruhi's actions. And it ends up being unconventional for Haruhi and what Koizumi and Nagato thinks she wants. He "humanizes" or keeps her down to earth. (which I think is why Haruhi and Kyon work well. Geez, I couldn't say that without it sounding like i'm making a shippy statement)

F**k Moe
Embrace Tsundere