View Single Post
Old 2013-04-02, 16:47   Link #30
Echoes

To me, this season ended up offering a good deal of highly enjoyable shows, but not a great deal of genre variety within this group. There were a lot of sequels, and I've yet to watch Chihayafuru's second installment (I might just wait this one out and watch it at my own leisure when it's done airing.)

The series I got the most enjoyment out of all involved cute girls, and most of them had elements of light comedy, as well as light drama. My top tier includes Tamako Market, which was an absolute joy to watch. The real key to success with this one is how organic and genuine it feels. It's incredibly cute and the whole story is brimming with warmth, leaving you feeling just a little bit better about the world. Choi is one of the most delightful characters I've seen this year, and Tamako is impossible to dislike. Kyo-Ani has been providing me with nothing but gems lately, and Tamako Market keeps their streak going strong.

Another great show, and a total surprise, was my first venture into the Precure seires; Doki Doki Precure. This is a children's show, and it makes no effort to conceal this fact, but that shouldn't deter anyone from giving this show a fair shake. The character designs are amazing, and they're all incredibly cute. It's pretty funny when it wants to, and time flies by when I watch this. Wouldn't have thought it, but this is one of the shows I look forward to most every week. Fantastic transformation sequences too.

Love Live! School Idol Project. With an inane name like that, you'd expect mediocrity, but this show has heart, humor and style. It might be little more than fluff, but it's a treat to watch, through and through. I'm sometimes taken aback by just how good the characters look, and the humor is strong enough to make me laugh out loud at times.

Other shows I enjoyed include Haganai Next, which had an unexpectedly emotionally potent ending, as well as more of both the positive and negative aspects of the first season, gdgd Fairies, which is a riot, and Maoyuu Maou Yuusha, which I enjoyed despite a few hiccups along the way.

The only thing I watched all the way through and ended up with an overall negative impression of was Senran Kagura. While it certainly does have big-titty ninjas and lots of fighting (and to its credit wastes little time getting to either), the terrible, seemingly thought up on the spot backstories, poor art and animation and mixed bag of characters made it a lackluster experience.