View Single Post
Old 2011-01-25, 01:39   Link #21673
Renall
BUY MY BOOK!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by musouka View Post
To play a few more words, there's no sense that Touya feels guilty about anything he remembers--which is most of it--and he only avoided Ange out of fear that he would become a stranger, not that said stranger was dangerous or could potentially hurt her.
I was referring more to the idea that if he's going to pull amnesia on us, what corny plot twist won't he pull on us. I have absolutely no trust in his competency once he starts pulling that kind of crap. That was practically the one thing I said I hoped he wouldn't do. I would literally be happier with space aliens and Bigfoot.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AuraTwilight View Post
And, again, it's basically just replacing Battler with what is essentially a new character that looks like him and having this new character be the culprit.
Well, it wouldn't be the first time it happened in Umineko.

Ryukishi threw out his own lessons, not his readers. He apparently never intended to "teach" anything but empty wishful thinking and ambiguities. If anything, Bern comes out ahead of her creator for not mounting a cowardly retreat at the last moment and sticking it out. Dire though they are, she has principles. Ryukishi asked us to trust him, then lectured us condescendingly for not trusting him properly, then proved himself unworthy of that trust. He's worse than his own villains. He's worse than his own author stand-in.

Really, it's barking up the wrong tree to rip the people who are disappointed. They aren't the ones who blinked. They're the ones who wanted the lesson to be that it was one of the 18, that truth matters, that you can face the truth without becoming a monster about it. What'd they get instead? "lol it could be these guys but maybe it wasn't I'unno." One can't fault people for continuing to speculate; what else has he left us with but random pieces of an unfinishable puzzle? If the goal was to get us to be respectful and give the story the end it deserved, there was a way to do it and he refused to do it.

You can't hear me golf-clapping over here, but I'm doing it with the dreariest sense of sarcasm that he managed to troll so many faithful people so hard for so long and ditch them by the roadside with no map, no directions, and no indication that the guy who drove them out here had a map in the first place himself.
This story is a redacted confession.

Blog (VN DL) - YouTube Playlists
Battler Solves The Logic Error
Renall is offline   Reply With Quote