Thread: Food you cook
View Single Post
Old 2012-11-20, 18:34   Link #561
Urzu 7
Juanita/Kiteless

I have some questions about cooking a turkey. Maybe someone here can help me.

I was gonna help my dad make a roast turkey for thanksgiving. I was going to use a soaked cheesecloth. You take butter, turkey stock, half an onion (skin removed, the whole half), an entire bulb of garlic cut in half 'at the equator', fresh thyme and fresh parsley, and a lemon wedge, melt the butter and add the rest and bring it to a boil, and then simmer it for 10-15 minutes, and then you soak a cheesecloth in it when it is cooled down a bit, and drape that over the turkey.

They say with this, you don't need to baste the turkey every 30 minutes. What I'd like to know is, if I go with using a cheesecloth, could I still put some butter under the skin? Would that somehow not work out well? Is it just not needed? With the cheesecloth, it should make the turkey plenty tender, even if the turkey skin separates the meat from the cheesecloth?

Also, do I have to worry about the cheesecloth drying out and burning? Should I use a new soaked cheesecloth after about 2 hours to 2 1/2 hours? I ended up buying two cheesecloths today.

This video is about using a cheesecloth on a turkey.