View Single Post
Old 2013-03-12, 22:32   Link #172
Pocari_Sweat
<em style="color:#808080;">Disabled By Request</em>

Send a message via AIM to Pocari_Sweat Send a message via MSN to Pocari_Sweat
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archon_Wing View Post
Well, that's just a general problem with romance anime. As many of us would note, it's not the end, it's just the beginning!

It's why I tend to get more mileage out of anime like Clannad, even though something like True Tears has significantly superior writing.
You're going to need to go the "good" shojo or josei for that. Its why I consider Kare Kano and Bokura ga Ita in high regard as they go beyond the formation.

Personally, I don't really feel anything for Key save for After Story and maybe a female character or two wlike Tomoyo. I am always turned off by their constant mood whiplash between extreme slapstick comedy one moment and mega melodrama the next. There's a reason why I consider Angel Beats the worst PA production, which is already on the weaker end when it comes to Key based works.

Series like ef tale of memories and True Tears which aired around the same time Clannad s1 really got the shaft despite having significantly better writing, artistic direction (particularly ef) and not so one dimensional merchandise focused characters.

Which is why I really like PA works slice of life/drama anime originals. To me they have this charm where they seem to be a hybrid of anime and live action tv. Yea I bitch about Iroha all the time, bit the highs of that show were some the best I've seen in the medium. Also I blame a certian writer .

PA themselves know that this is the strength. I'm watching Tamako Market atm and man the quality differential between that kyoani original and a pa original is gigantic. It's like comparing sword art online and shin sekai yori/psycho pass.
Pocari_Sweat is offline   Reply With Quote