View Single Post
Old 2011-06-01, 19:29   Link #84
Reckoner
Bittersweet Distractor

Quote:
Originally Posted by relentlessflame View Post
Well, all I'd clarify is that it's not the characters "are not being clear about what they want", it's that what they want isn't clear to them for reasons both shown and alluded-to in the show. Not going to argue about whether it's better or worse for the story that way... but a lot of shows I've personally enjoyed have demonstrated this sort of emotional ambiguity (again, not just "I'm not telling you", but "I really don't know how I feel yet"). As I said, opinions...
Well ignoring whether it is an engaging way to tell the story....

The only reason someone like Kyousuke should be so confused is if he has conflicting feelings about his sister. However, as mentioned before, if they wanted to go down the romance route between them two, or allude to it, I find it extremely jarring (Not simply because it's incest though after Yosuga no Sora I think I could use a break from that) due to the lack of explainable reasons for such feelings of confusion.

Yes, he's been helping his sister this whole time. But really, his treatment has been less than satisfactory. You may argue that while we ourselves don't see the reason to like Kirino that Kyousuke does and it would be out of character for him to simply state he doesn't like her and be done with it... However, isn't it important to try to keep characters in dramatic stories well grounded? If the audience can't see why the character would make a decision, put themselves in their shoes, is it not hard to empathize with the characters?

Making the plot coherent and understandable is all I'm asking for. Even if Kyousuke himself is confused, the audience should be able to see this confusion and break down the reasons why, citing dialog and events showcasing why this confusion arose. At the moment, I see none of this.