View Single Post
Old 2012-12-16, 01:56   Link #140
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Somnus View Post
Of course, my stance on Kayaba with that viewpoint in mind is this. If I've been tossed into a VR world, then I'm not aware of it. Whereas everyone from SAO was aware that they were being forced to live in his world, and it's that simple knowledge that would prevent me from ever being able to thank him sincerely, regardless of the fortunes I'd gained.
Yes, indeed -- this is the one unfair thing: the knowledge of what you've lost and had taken away from you. You only truly feel imprisoned when you know what it's like to be free. Kayaba having deprived them of their freedom to force them (and everyone) into that game was an inescapable wrong from pretty much any moral standpoint. So indeed, to genuinely thank him for it all is probably not reasonable. But perhaps to find something to thank him for in spite of all that can no longer be changed...

Quote:
I won't lie, and say that if given the choice I'd be able to make the decision without severe emotional strain; but if an omnipotent being told me that I HAD to choose between the only chance to meet the love of my life (and to make it more dramatic, let's say I'd never be able to love/be loved ever again) at the cost of 2000 peoples' lives, there's no way I'd be able to justify that much death. Though I'd be interested to see the results of a poll like that.
Yeah, being given that sort of choice is really not fair. But, if you look back in retrospect not having had that choice, despite all the negative things that happened, you may still be able to -- somehow -- appreciate the one good that resulted from the whole thing despite all the bad. You could even say that the good things that resulted stand out so much more in contrast (or as Asuna put it, they became her reason for living in the midst of that darkness). I suppose that's the very essence of hope, and that's probably what's going to fuel his decision about The Seed (I'm guessing). In the midst of great tragedy and loss, something beautiful can still result in the lives of those who survive. Life (in all its forms) is still a beautiful thing.

Quote:
The seed of course, is a different matter entirely. It's a tool, nothing more, nothing less. Given Kayaba's brilliance, it's most likely an extremely powerful tool. Why destroy it without even trying to understand its potential? Destroying it out of resentment isn't going to bring back the lives of those that were lost, and looking at things with a bit of optimism it may benefit mankind one day.
In a sense, you could say that Kazuto now has a small opportunity to play "God" himself. He has seen two rather horrifying examples: first the sociopath, and second the psychopath. So it's only his belief that there can still be good in this world -- exemplified by his love for Asuna and Yui (and to a certain extent for Suguha and the rest of those who stood along side him) -- that would cause him to believe that something beautiful can grow from that seed. It may be that "absolute power corrupts absolutely", but there may be another way. It'll be interesting to see what flowers bloom as a result.