View Single Post
Old 2013-01-18, 02:48   Link #1085
DonQuigleone
Knight Errant

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyp275 View Post
As far as mass shooters go, I think your argument is pretty sound.

Still, if you look at violent crime overall beyond just the mass shootings, I'd say the violent culture has significantly more impact there.
In terms of regular violent crime you may be right. But there's also issues of poverty and broken families. I listened to an interesting radio program recently that compared the experiences of an Afghan war veteran, and a former drug dealer from Philadelphia, and the similarities in experiences were uncanny. To give some context to the dealer, he came home at the age of 6 to find his mother shot dead, and from there it was all downhill. The difference, I guess, is that the War Veteran comes home from the war zone, the dealer is stuck there.

I don't really think the violent crime in these areas is strictly related to our violent popular culture, rather the violent pop culture in those areas is a symptom of the violence and poverty that is already endemic there. Though I will say that pop culture is responsible for all the "poseurs", but while they're extremely annoying, they're ultimately harmless.
DonQuigleone is offline   Reply With Quote