View Single Post
Old 2010-09-21, 15:22   Link #14
Nosauz

Quote:
Originally Posted by synaesthetic View Post
That's where you're wrong.

America doesn't mind CGI; I mean, look at Avatar. CGI is fine. It's "manly" enough.

But ordinary cel-animated works? Pfft, that pansy shit's for kids and gays!

Sigh.
Crackdown was well received, the New PoP was really well liked by American Standards, Borderlands is at the top of critically acclaimed games. The art style isn't all that "wimpy" as you portray it to be, and for the most part it comes down to whether or not Americans treat animation fairly as an Artistic medium, for most they don't which is disappointing.

The thing about Avatar... it was just Fern Gully/Dances with Wolves/Pocahontas in 3D in space, the story wasn't all that alluring and the 3D wasn't all that impressive, it just depends on what your audience is trying to get out of the movie. I still contend that Pixar is dramatically helping bridging the gap and Disney to some extent use to do this with their hand drawn animations such as Aladdin and the early 90s era movies. I do think something like say Megamind, is clearly targetted at adults as the main demographic, especially when you cast Jonah Hill, Tina Fey, Brad Pitt who really don't do kids stuff at all. Oh well it's hard to say especially since I'm part of the group of kids who grew up with Sega Genesis, and plenty of cartoons.

Also if Ghibli would return to making movies like Spirited Away, Princess Monoke, Totoro, I think there might be more hope.
Nosauz is offline   Reply With Quote