View Single Post
Old 2007-01-04, 14:08   Link #53
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by LCeh View Post
I think he made some good points, but I still think Haruhi can break into the main stream in US. I think it has the drawing power to get a lot of people interested, because it has many different appeals that can reach many different people. Simply calling it a "highschool comedy" is a little too generic for SHnY. In fact, I find it hard to put the show in a genre, since it has a little bit of everything, and because of that, I think it can be successful too in America.
Well, I think there's a huge difference between appealing to many anime fans, and appealing to the mainstream. Having "something for everyone" only works if people are willing to give it a chance. With no TV airing, why would the Cartoon Network crowd just go to the store and buy it (and it over all the other choices on the shelf)? It doesn't promise great action, it doesn't promise cool heroes and villains, it doesn't promise violence or blood -- it's just a "big bundle of anime goodness", which means precisely nothing if you're not already an anime fan (and by that I mean more than what airs on Adult Swim). In this case, I think John's exactly right; this has all the makings of a "cult classic" in the U.S. By in large, the people salivating over Naruto, Bleach, and Full Metal Alchemist (and from whom that defines all of what "anime" is) aren't going to rush to the stores to pick it up, and that's what's meant by mainstream success in the U.S.