View Single Post
Old 2006-08-21, 11:36   Link #72
Tak
Catholic = Cat addiction?

Quote:
Originally Posted by srb
The Greeks considered everyone to be mere barbarians. You shouldn't discredit the cultural and societal advances of the Roman and Etruscan societies circa 700-300 BC in a manner such as this

Their material wealth had nothing to do with their prowess as warriors, and when they steamrolled across Eurasia they were well-equipped, with several chargers for every warrior, chain mail armor and long charging spears.
And I've already stated that they 'started out' as piss poor, poverty-stricken, primitive barbarians. Their later glory was achieved only by the accumulated hard works of their leaders and peoples. None of the two 'civilizations' stated above started out with glory and fame. They both had a humble start, with Genghis being the humbler example of the two.

Before Genghis, Mongolia was a mess. It was only after him that the Mongol 'chargers' were able to steamroll Eurasia.

And even with the Greeks degrading their neighbors as mere barbarians, they had 'ranks' in that category, and the Romans sure didn't rank very high. It was only after several hundred years did the situation reverse, eventually with Greeks kissing Roman butt.

- Tak (Yes, I realize we are getting a little OT, I shall use private msg from now on)
Tak is offline   Reply With Quote