View Single Post
Old 2009-12-30, 15:10   Link #1812
KLGChaos
The Shermain

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ Trouble View Post
Who slapped who, when?

Addressed before you even said anything about it, and yet you still felt the need to say something about it . . .

I'm not going to point out specific examples of her acting like a friend because people are just going to dispute it anyway. For whatever reason, this seems to be a matter of personal preference instead of something you can actually prove or support with examples of the character's actions, so if what I already said doesn't work for you, then oh well.

Now this, I love. It's okay to take her for her word when she mentions dominating people, but when she says she was born for other people or that Zen is her precious friend, then we've got to filter it through a lens of "I don't like Medaka as a character" and assume she doesn't mean it?
For me, I tend to believe the former over the latter due to her personality. She's shown herself to be dominating, tyrannical and hypocritical, so it kind of makes the whole "I live for others" thing feel like a cover-up. We do get a few moments where she does act like a friend, like when Unzen hurt everyone, but those are mostly overshadowed by the other moments.

True, some of this comes from the fact that I'm not a fan of Medaka, but the same can be said of the opposite-- if you like her, then you'll see her good side more. It's all just opinions and the truth is, we don't actually know how Medaka thinks because she's the ONLY person in the manga (besides Shiranui) whose head we don't get to see inside, so we can only go off of her actions and the way others around her view her. People tend to worship her in the manga and that type of thing turns people off, even if it is something she dislikes, she never does anything to stop it and by saying that she lives for others, she actually seems to be encouraging it.

She may be showing concern for her friends when she doesn't want them to fight, but she's also showing that she doesn't believe in them, either. What she doesn't seem to realize (or maybe she does) is that she's also holding them back when she does this.

Oh, and there is one example of her being petty and attention-needing. The painting chapter. She was upset that Shiranui was more prominent in the foreground than she was.

Last edited by KLGChaos; 2009-12-30 at 15:23.
KLGChaos is offline   Reply With Quote