Thread: Windows 8
View Single Post
Old 2012-11-11, 15:48   Link #413
Random32
Also a Lolicon

Quote:
Originally Posted by konart View Post
Wrong thread for this, but...

Just how bigger the linux community will be in a year, now that valve release Steam on linux((not so) closed beta test for now, but still)
Probably not much. Depending on how many games are available, I might switch my desktop to full time Linux. Laptops will stay Windows for battery life + less times needing to use a VM to run stuff value.

Windows is installed by default on just about any new computer though. People won't make the effort to install something else which isn't really any more functional.

Quote:
Originally Posted by npal View Post
Metro apps ARE fullscreen.
There is a difference between Metro apps, and apps launched from the Start Screen...

Quote:
I suppose there could be worse fantasies than thinking linux will ever be a mainstream product.
Linux is exceedingly mainstream. Just not on desktop/laptops. Most webservers run Linux, most smartphones run Linux, a good portion of embedded devices run Linux.

Quote:
As for this idea that you need a touch screen to use Windows 8, I chalk up to typical aforementioned exaggerated outrage. I don't have any Windows 8 (or phone) touch devices, and use the OS just fine. Frankly, I think touchscreen desktops and laptops are incredibly stupid, so manufacturers that seem to be doubling down on "all in" design with their new Windows 8 computers seems incredibly fool-hardy. The OS works just fine without touch, and in my view, touch is incredibly awkward when you are pushing parallel to the horizontal plane, rather than perpendicular to it. Pushing a sub-par experience just for the hell of it further shows how incredibly brain dead the PC OEM market is, which is why-I'm sure-so many of us "geeks" will continue building our own computers.
QFT
Random32 is offline   Reply With Quote