Thread: Proposal Quote Notifications
View Single Post
Old 2012-02-21, 10:35   Link #5
Ledgem
Love Yourself

Quote:
Originally Posted by GHDpro View Post
While it sounds like a neat idea, there is the problem of those people replying to posts yet don't do so using quoting (which er, in a way I'm doing right now).

One thing you can do however is to go into the User CP / Options and change the "Default Thread Subscription Mode" with which you can automatically subscribe to any thread you reply to. But I presume you're already using that.
Indeed, I auto-subscribe to all threads and navigate the forums heavily through the user control panel. I know that many other users do this, as well. But there are some, particularly the newer users, who don't seem to be aware of this functionality.

It's true that not everyone quotes properly. I suspect that there will always be people who don't. Having a notification system tied to the use of quotes will probably cause some of those people to quote properly. Still, it seems to me that more people use quotes properly than not. If only a minority of forum users were quoting properly then I would say that it's probably not worth the effort to implement a system like this, but since it's the minority that seems to be quoting informally, I think it would be worth the effort. Unless, of course, it's a really, really huge deal to implement it.