View Single Post
Old 2012-07-10, 15:27   Link #41
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

I don't want to drag this too far away from the topic at hand (which is a series that interests me very much) so this will be my last thought on PA Works in this thread. But I want to respond to your post, because I think this raises an interesting point.

If you'll pardon me for oversimplifying a bit, what I think we have here is a difference between seeing anime as a craft and seeing it as an art. You're pointing out specific area in which you feel ufotable, et al are technically superior to PA Works. And I'm telling you, what PA Works brings to the table that I don't normally see from most other studios is a sense of personal vision. It's hard to quantify so easily, but in addition to a "look" that's signature to their stuff (that can be a double-edged sword) their art reflects an aesthetic sense that I've never seen from, for example, a ufotable series.

For all its many, many, many, many, many, many many narrative flaws, for my money HanaIro is a far more beautiful series than Fate/Zero visually. ufotable can impress and dazzle, and they make better use of CGI than just about anyone. But as art, I find their look slightly cold and clinical. I've even seen that in some KyoAni stuff, too, though Hyouka is wonderfully expressive and whimsical visually.

Lastly, on the Tsuritama reference, I agree with you that the example you show and the series generally are fantastic visually - but Nakamura was going for something quite singular in the look of the series (as he always does). I don't think I'd bring it into a PA Works/KyoAni/ufotable et al discussion because it's like referencing Picasso in a debate about who was the greatest of the Impressionists.
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote