View Single Post
Old 2013-03-31, 23:44   Link #6
Hemisphere
見習い魔剣使い

Same here, but I find that there's this sort of irritation that you get when you think that you're not learning kanji fast enough, and that's actually quite demotivating. I find that it's way more helpful to not just take it at your own pace, but make sure that you're learning it at a pace that you're comfortable with.

For me, I tend to try and break down the radicals of the kanji I find myself having trouble with, so I can remember it easier. Yeah, it takes a while whenever I do so for EACH kanji that I'm unfamiliar with, but it basically boils down to: do I REALLY want to understand what it is that I am reading, or do I just want to fool myself into thinking that I'm actually understanding what I'm reading?

In my case, I find that taking it slow and steady helps out a lot, since it gives your brain more time to really comprehend the information and for it to sink in. I can't say that works for everyone, but if it does, then I'm glad to be of help despite how little it might be. Every bit of help counts when learning JP, I'm sure.

I don't know if it'll work, but if you have the resources for a tablet (whether it be Android or iOS or Win8), you could probably buy one then install a JP dictionary with kanji stroke radicals for reference. It sounds over-the-top, but that's what I did, and it's quite helpful. There's Aedict and JED for Android, Kotoba for iOS (I don't know if there's a JP dictionary for Win8, sorry).