View Single Post
Old 2004-07-07, 18:09   Link #9
Krevnik
Kryptic Kynic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Remian
And in terms of "freeware" you cant go and give away your junk cause someones going to sell it

Giving your illegally published game out for free is illegal too. Give up. Make something new and original.
Actually, I can give it away, as nobody can sell it. The game theme is copyrighted, and as you already said, the game cannot be sold without a license from the anime's copyright owner. The game mechanics are copyright, so the game cannot be sold without a license from the game's copyright owner. In essence, nobody can profit off of such a game without permission from two people, and good luck with that!

If I post a game for download (which can be considered publishing, more specifically, self-publishing) and specifically place it in the public domain with the proper legal disclaimers, legally, it is protected under fair use. There is enough precident to protect it, trust me. AMVs share the same sort of grey area but are not worth the time, and they would have an uphill battle.

While I have original ideas which I am also working on, they are specifically aimed at getting published, or aren't worth even showing in public (every game designer has a couple embarassing ideas, and no game designer gets everything published by a company). This idea is to put something simple and fun into the public domain for people to download/print. If anyone profits from it, it would be the company trying to sell the DVDs.
Krevnik is offline   Reply With Quote