View Single Post
Old 2011-07-30, 20:50   Link #12297
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuroi Hadou View Post
Correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't there seven archangels in some interpretations of the Heavenly Host?
In some?

Quote:
Within the rabbinic tradition, the Kabbalah, and the Book of Enoch chapter 20, and the Life of Adam and Eve, the usual number of archangels given is at least seven, who are the focal angels. Three higher archangels are also commonly referenced: Michael, Raphael, and Gabriel. There is confusion about one of the following eight names, concerning which one listed is not truly an archangel. They are: Uriel, Sariel, Raguel, and Remiel (possibly the Ramiel of the Apocalypse of Baruch, said to preside over true visions), Zadkiel, Jophiel, Haniel and Chamuel.[7] Medieval Jewish philosopher Maimonides made a Jewish angelic hierarchy.

Quote:
Eastern Orthodox Tradition mentions "thousands of archangels;[13] however, only seven archangels are venerated by name.[14] Uriel is included, and the other three are most often named Selaphiel, Jegudiel, and Barachiel (an eighth, Jeremiel, is sometimes included as archangel).

Quote:
Roman Catholic

In Roman Catholicism, three are honoured by name:

St. Michael (see above)
St. Gabriel
St. Raphael (Tobit 3:17, 12:15) (see below)

Pope St. Gregory the Great in a sermon[10] gave the names of the other four:

Uriel who is named in 2 Esdras,
Phanuel, (Orfiel, Ophaniel) &
Zarachiel (Saraqael) who were both named in the Book of Enoch
Simiel (Proclaimer of God).

Quote:
In anthroposophy, based on teachings by Rudolf Steiner, there are many spirits belonging to the hierarchical level of archangel. In general, their task is to inspire and guard large groups of human beings, such as whole nations, peoples or ethnic groups. This reflects their rank above the angels who deal with individuals (the guardian angel) or smaller groups.[27] In Steiner's view, the main seven archangels with the names given by Pope Saint Gregory I are Michael, Gabriel, Raphael, Uriel (or Anael), Simiel, Oriphiel and Zachariel[citation needed] have a special assignment to act as a global Zeitgeist ("time spirit" or, "spirit of the times/age"), each for periods of about 380 years.