View Single Post
Old 2005-12-25, 18:42   Link #59
TheFluff
Excessively jovial fellow

/me looks at Linkthe1st's location... "They have a cave troll!"
Seriously, that post is about 95% wrong, and the 5% that aren't are mostly very badly expressed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linkthe1st
My personal complaint is that I can't use the DivX player to watch files using this codec since FFD show doesn't work with it.
Guess what, DivX player is intended for... DivX! It doesn't play ANYTHING else. Technically it doesn't play XviD either, it just happens to be so that the XviD implementation of the MPEG4 ASP specs is so close to the DivX one that it mostly works in practice. DivX has other quirks, however, like the decoder not being compatible with older versions of itself, and there's lots of other assorted bugs and amusing things in it. Just don't use it.

Quote:
This codec I can understand it's advantages but I can not understand why anyone would want to use it at all. The cons out weight the pros here. My main complaint is that I have to use Windows Media Player 10 which I don't like at all.
Congratulations, you just set yourself up as one of the easiest flame targets I've seen in months. Your lack of knowledge is just amazing...
1. MKV is not a codec, just a container. The file size and the codec is up to the encoder. Generally, people who puts their stuff in MKV are fond of quality and lots of extras, hence the filesize gets bigger.
2. MKV has about 236347137 advantages over AVI. Anamorphic encoding, VFR, supports modern codecs (like H.264 (not supported in AVI, except by evil hacks), Ogg Vorbis, AAC etc. etc.), lots of different softsub possibilities, linked files, chapters... the list goes on for an eternity.
3. You can use any DirectShow player for MKV. Your forced use of WMP10 (which just plain sucks, BTW) is only caused by your incompetence. WMP 6.4 works as well. Personally I like Zoom Player and Media Player Classic the best, though.

Quote:
This is a codec to end all codecs it's supported by the basic free DivX bundle and only at the cost of a slightly darker tone in the video it compresses large moves into a manageable size of under 700mb usually.
I've got some news for you: THE OUTPUT SIZE IS CHOSEN BY THE PERSON WHO ENCODES THE FILE, NOT THE CODEC. I can make an anime ep 70 MB large with XviD if I wanted to, but it wouldn't look good (you could maybe make out a character there among all the blocks... you wouldn't hear much, either). I could also go the other way and make it 700 MB.

Quote:
It’s a good codec but the compression is bad though the quality is good and clean. Compatible with all media players I have ever used with no problem. Problem is that annoying logo in the corner all the time. It can’t compete with the XviD codec ever because of being the same with better compression and it plays if you can play DivX.
Read the above paragraph. Although it's true, DivX generally isn't as good as XviD. But I got some more news for you: that logo is a decoder "feature". You can easily turn if off by ticking a checkbox in the settings. Or just decode DivX with ffdshow or XviD.

Quote:
On a side note has anyone noticed that XviD is backwards for DivX?
HE HAS SHOWN US THE LIGHT! Oh, wait, he's just three or four years late with it. Go figure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eeknay
My question is this; would your head explode if Xvid was used in an MKV container (which happens a lot, by the way)?

Taking bets.
I bet two episodes of Shakugan no Shana that it would.

Now on to something completely different - namely the relative suckage of the evil player known as VLC. LytHka is, as we've seen many times before, talking in his sleep or something. I cannot verify this much lower CPU usage in any way. I did some experiments, comparing VLC 0.8.4a against ffdshow-20051208-gcc4.0.2-sse-x264.nl/Haali 2005-11-25.2/VSFilter 2.37 plus either Zoom Player 4.51 standard or MPC 6.4.8.7. The results:
Spoiler for the results of the test:

Note: This test is in NO WAY scientific. I've just taken screenshots of the task manager while playing the stuff. The "CPU usage" things are kind of "average" values - I've tried to choose a value that is some kind of median. My impression by looking at the graphs and the CPU usage meter is that VLC jumps around more. The spikes are higher than Zoom's or MPC's, but on the other hand the valleys are deeper, too. The average usage seems about the same for all the players. I see NO evidence whatsoever for VLC nor any other player being faster. However, for some weird reason ZP seems more heavily single-threaded. I have no idea why, so I'm writing it off as randomness for now.

Test clips used were F-B's Mahoraba 12 (the OP) and ZX's Starship Operators 04 (the OP here too - one of the most CPU-intensive DVD-resolution clips I have). SSO04 has softsubs, but there are no lines on screen during the OP. VSfilter is thus being loaded but not used. The test CPU was my Athlon X2 3800+.
17:43:13 <~deculture> Also, TheFluff, you are so fucking slowpoke.jpg that people think we dropped the DVD's.
17:43:16 <~deculture> nice job, fag!

01:04:41 < Plorkyeran> it was annoying to typeset so it should be annoying to read

Last edited by TheFluff; 2005-12-25 at 19:16.
TheFluff is offline   Reply With Quote