View Single Post
Old 2005-12-26, 18:45   Link #81
NoSanninWa
Weapon of Mass Discussion
*Fansubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingdarkness
I truley don't understand the whole H.264 craze that's going on right now...Perhaps it makes encoder's jobs easier, but as a veiwer I much rather xvid/divx decodable projects...Let me be the one to choose if I want to use ffdshow all the time(which I don't hate, but I'm not a huge fan of ffdshow)...Higher quality 230+mbs DVD rips look pretty good with it, but 200 and under fansubs look superior in divx format IMO...I just don't see the HUGE advantage...Lower sized fansubs should stick with divx I think...and don't get me started on CCCP that would be kissing ffdshow's ring if it was the "God-father"...
Before anyone here says anything mean to you, let me explain something. The h.264 craze has nothing to do with making an encoder's job easier. Actually, from what I know it seems to make encoding a bit harder. If you do it right. The reason for the h.264 craze is the dual edged sword of quality and filesize.

You seem to have limited exposure to well done h.264 encodes. You at least recognize the video quality that it is capable of, but I suspect that you just haven't downloaded the right videos to see how small they can make a file without losing much quality. 200 and under fansubs certainly do not look better in XviD. If you think this, then you just haven't seen it used properly. For a wonderful example, try downloading any of the later episodes of Pretty Cure. You can find both h264 and XviD versions for episodes 41-49 made by the same encoder from the same DVD source. The XviD version is about 220MB, while the h264 version is only 140MB. Once you've compared these, you'll see the power of h264. Those are 140 MB files that you are watching! Can you say, with a straight face, that XviD can approach that quality at that size?

There's not that fine a line between willing suspension of disbelief and something just being stupid.
NoSanninWa is offline   Reply With Quote