View Single Post
Old 2009-07-24, 11:17   Link #106
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darknemo2000 View Post
I was not talking about poems in this case - I was talking about letters and they are not really in reflection as majority were written during the course of events, reflection happens specially at first.
But the point is still the same. Do you think that people have preserved all the pointless and non-war-related letters from that time period? Is anyone going to talk about those "pointless" things in the midst of such tragedy? Like, if a highschool-esque romantic triangle did occur, would anyone read those letters today? I suppose you could argue that this is why the anime shouldn't focus on such trivialities because they're in the midst of a war, but that's just the dichotomy that we're being asked to accept in the show -- that in the midst of a raging war, a much smaller battle for hearts is also being waged, and this emotional war actually has a significant impact on their performance in the battlefield.

I'm not trying to say that the romantic triangle is super-smart, well-written, or perfectly believable -- it has all the trappings of a typical anime romantic triangle -- but I guess I just don't have the same problem with the blend. This anime is more of a character study, so they're using both the war and the romance equally to mold and shape these characters; the two sides mirror each other. I see how they're using Welkin's current rut as a way of contrasting the character development he's going to be forced through from here to the end of the show. Likewise, everything we're seeing with Faldio is also happening for a reason; he's at the top of his game now (as a contrast to Welkin), but he has nowhere to go but down, as the show keeps hinting. So I think that, at least in the anime, it's an important part of the story that reflects the way the rest of the plot is developing. We'll see what they do with it from here on in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darknemo2000 View Post
But in VC it doesn't seem the case they just waltz in and act carefree right from the start.

I know it should never be a serious anime, but it tries to be serious at times itself and fails because of these idiotic romance things flowing around.
Well, I can say this. If this show had been so serious, I probably wouldn't have been interested, since I wouldn't normally watch a "war anime". I like the blend of comedy, romance, and drama because it adds variety to the experience. Again, I'm not saying that it's in any way wrong or unreasonable to not like the blend... but I still like it, I guess. *shrug*