View Single Post
Old 2012-01-22, 02:50   Link #29
Dr. Casey

1. If this was more like your normal Visual Novel and choices could block off certain paths, I would consider the pace a bit overwhelming. Thanks to this story's format, though, where the results of every choice are laid out for us, I think the update schedule is no problem. It's always nice to get some more story to read, besides.

2. I don't think there's any such thing as too long really, though the chapter length is good. I mean, if I don't mind the very very long and detailed Higurashi (That probably took me upwards of 100 hours to read )... I naturally gravitate towards long stories, at Fanfiction.net I use the >100,000 words option to find the longest stories. On that note, I do think the results for the choices are too short much of the time.

3. I vote C. I'm interested in seeing your take on Sayaka, and I think it might prove difficult to write the middle portions of the series that focus on Sayaka if you keep the spotlight on Madoka alone (Unless you fill up this portion primarily with original material, which is certainly a viable and potential-filled option).

4. I personally would like to see him. I think it would be very interesting to see how Madoka relates to someone that's overtly antagonistic... Madoka is so gentle and sweet that it almost seems impossible for anyone to earn her ire, as shown by the way she's so forgiving (More or less) of Kyubey. The others' interactions with him would be interesting as well, and there could be some nice drama and conflict from the hotheaded Sayaka butting heads with him.

And I'm really, really glad that a Visual Novel is being produced for this already. I haven't gotten the chance to try it out yet, and I think I'll wait until it's finished to do anything more than give it a short test run, but I am so getting it once it's done.

I'll give more detailed reviews for the later chapters, but I'm going to be strapped for time the next couple of weeks, so I'll just list the choices I selected this time.

Quote:
Sayaka and Hitomi started laughing loudly at that. I hate it when people laugh at me when I tell the truth, because the only alternative is to lie, and I don't like lying!
I have to mention how adorable this line is, though.

Okay, so...

I went with 3A because that's much more interesting than just keeping the dreams to myself. Sayaka's blush over Madoka saying that she dreamed about her in a fancy outfit was cute, and I liked the way Hitomi defused the situation... it's nice that Visual Novels can add characterization lacking in the original (And Hitomi didn't get much screentime). Oh, and I gave in to temptation and read Opportunity Choice 1 even though I chose 2B earlier. Sorry. ^^; I really enjoyed reading that, I like Madoka's relationship with Yahiro a lot. These opportunity choices are a really great addition to the story, I hope there's a number of them showing many different stages of Madoka's life. I think I'll read all these opportunity choices whether I'm applicable or not, because I doubt I'd ever be able to find them all in the Visual Novel. On that note, I hope 18 year old Madoka is illustrated in the game, because I bet she'll be bangin' once she gets older. (High school is three years in Japan, by the way Or at least, I think it usually is. Dunno if there's any exceptions or not.)

Moving on, 4B is definitely the way to go. It's cute, and I was wondering if it might result in something like Madoka molesting Homura in episode 10 (Which I shamefully admit turned me on >_>). I went with 5B because I wanted to see how everyone would react to Madoka's self-deprecation, and since the early parts of the series are lighthearted, that sort of warmth and togetherness seems appropriate for the early story. (I think C ended up being the most interesting of the three choices, though. Mami's slightly cold, almost testy response caught me off-guard.) 6B is the more interesting option, so I went for that. That logic is the reason that I chose 7C as well. 7B is a nice moment between the three and shows some nice insight into at least one of the reasons behind Sayaka harboring feelings for Madoka, the fact that she's passionate. As for 7C, well, I think I'm prone to choosing any option that might result in conflict or tension, and this didn't disappoint. Mami seems a bit irritated here... between 6C and 7C, it seems as though there's been more chances to lose affection points with Mami than the other characters. She might hate Madoka more than Homura by the time the story's done.

Interesting that the story takes place so far into the future, according to the Bambi being over 100 years old reference... if Hare and Shu are old enough to have children around Madoka's age, this must be set around the middle 2050s at earliest, maybe the 2060s-2070s. Interesting, interesting. I'm an old man when all this is going on.

Anyway, it's close to two in the morning and I'm getting pretty sleepy, so I'll leave it at that. Really enjoying this.
Dr. Casey is offline   Reply With Quote