View Single Post
Old 2012-07-05, 01:50   Link #29570
UsagiTenpura
Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wanderer;4238622Funny that one of the difficulties with Umineko is that we probably know more about what's inside the cat-box than what's [B
outside[/B]. It's kind of a weird, inverted viewpoint.
More like we know absolutely nothing about the outside, but we've been allowed to make some non-random guesses about it (at least not entirely random).

Quote:
Well, the point I'm making is that if the 1998 EP4 narrative was a cat-box that existed as a fictionally written story in Prime, Kasumi's status should be independently verifiable and thus a way to falsify that fiction. Of course if Kasumi did disappear at that time for some reason it could still work. Actually, it wouldn't be such a surprise if Okonogi was responsible for that, even if Kasumi never chased Ange to Rokkenjima.
Death (in Umineko) is a subjective word with a lot of subjective value. As thus the life/death status of anyone cannot be used to credit or discredit anything. If the story was meant to be figurative, it'd be useless to discredit it based on literal facts.
"This is not the literal truth" is beaten down by "I never said it'd be the literal truth".

I don't think even expecting a single literal element in the entirety of Umineko is a very good idea. We're basically reading a bible-sized poem about love.

Oh and uh I feel like I've been repeating that over and over, but Ange's role is to be a parallel to our own relation to the story on one side, and on the other side she was meant to parallel Yasu's life. That Ange's life shares so much with Yasu's life in term of traumatic events suggest to me that either or both are actually entirely fictional. You could overall say that if you mix up Battler and Beatrice, you get Ange. That's just way too convenient for the author to be the actual truth.

Edit : Ending up expanding on this. Maria in arc 7 denies the events between her and Ange mentioned by Ange in arc 4. Isn't there a chance Maria from arc 7 is right? I guess I'm proposing this :
Both the Ange story of 1998 and Battler/Beatrice's story of 1986 share a lot of elements, especially figuratively and, if both are fictions, in the purpose they have for the author. Both actually points out to the same one truth and this is where "prime" really lies. If anything that's not an approach I think anyone had yet. It could be worth a try to see the results.

Last edited by UsagiTenpura; 2012-07-05 at 02:21.
UsagiTenpura is offline   Reply With Quote