View Single Post
Old 2013-04-10, 10:02   Link #129
Ledgem
Love Yourself

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsaki View Post
If anyone feels the same or has an opinion about my 'fetish' (I guess it can be called that, if not I can move this post to the proper topic xD)
We're using the term "fetish" in this topic pretty loosely. From a psychological standpoint, a fetish is something that is a requirement to be put into a state where you can engage in sex. It's not just a matter of "I find this hot," it's a requirement. If that condition isn't met, no sex.

What you're describing isn't related to sex, but I'll comment on it anyway. You've had a bad relationship experience and are now shying away from other such relationships. You can't give up on relationships completely, though, because of how you are "hard wired." Sure, some people are perfectly happy to have no romance or connections to others in their lives, but it seems like you are not one of those people (which isn't a bad or good thing - it is what it is). Unable to give up on relationships and yet desiring to avoid the pain that you previously experienced, you have found solace in fantasy. Sure, the relationships with these characters is one-sided (there is no true interaction), but what does it matter? Even if these are works of fiction you still feel a sense of connection with them. Those feelings are real.

What you are doing now is essentially nursing a broken heart, hurt feelings, damaged world view, or something along those lines. I don't think that there's anything wrong with what you're doing. What you need to recognize is that you can't do it forever. That is, you can, but eventually it won't be enough. A fantasy relationship will always be limited by the fact that it is fantasy. Recognition of that, which is bound to occur with time and/or certain life events, will ruin the fantasy for you.

So enjoy the fantasy for now, and take the time that you need. Just expect that some day you will leave it behind for bigger and better things.