Thread: Tipping
View Single Post
Old 2009-11-15, 22:52   Link #23
Dark Wing

Is Leaving Tips A Big Deal?

I got into an argument with my girlfriend over tipping at a restaurant. She says that you should tip your waiter no less then 15% every time you go out to eat but I feel that giving a tip and the amount of said tip should be left up to the customer to decide.

She goes off on me and says that I should do it because it was what she was thought was common curtsy growing up so I ask what if I needed that same tip for something else later on or couldn't afford to leave one. To which she replied that if you can't afford to tip you shouldn't go out to eat and how she better not catch me do it again...

So I'm supposed to deny myself a service because I can't tip someone who gets paid no matter what I do? Now note I work in a super market and get a tip of my own every now and then for bagging an order but I don't expect one everyday, I'm just happy I have a job.

Well to get to the point, She's pissed at me because I don't tip how she believes I should. So Am I wrong? Am I being a douche and not realizing it? Because I feel that it's good enough that they are even getting to service me.