View Single Post
Old 2012-12-19, 00:17   Link #165
Hyper
Irregular Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elestia View Post
No, you are pretty much correct. We are talking about whether the problem exists but is absent, or whether it does not exist thereby making it absent. So if it quacks like a duck, walks like a duck, and looks like a duck chances are that is is indeed a duck, that is where you'll find me. It is much harder to argue the opposite, hence I invoke Occam's Razor.

I think anyone who was being backed into an emotional corner would cause anyone to have an outburst like that. It doesn't necessarily mean that her chuuninbyou has gotten worse. In the train ride scene, we even have Rikka asking Yuuta how his "Dark Flame Master" powers arose. This to me is the strongest indication that she is actually able to reflect on her own lifestyle and by asking Yuuta about how his own chuuninbyou started, it points to how normal she actually is.

Indeed, but that has never stopped anyone on the forums from speculating or making conjectures. Piecing together clues, hints, or references is what makes for much of the fun to be had in these kinds of discussions. And, based on that framework the amount of information given to us leads me to the conclusion that Rikka's behavior is blown out of proportion. Blaming Rikka's chuuninbyou as the main factor for her family's problem is silly. Saying that just because the show didn't show scenes, characters talk about it, or hint at a more serious problems is proof enough that is does exist which I find boggling to comprehend.
First, if I understand the word "absent" correctly (English is not my native language as you probably guessed), I think I'd change the statement to "whether the problem exists but is hidden, or whether it does not exist thereby making it absent."

The problem I has with saying that Rikka has no trouble with her chuunibyou behavior is similar to what you has trouble with saying Rikka is the main factor for her family's problem, I believe. The lack of proofs denying its existence does not imply it does exist. Well, it's slightly different. Here would be "The lack of proofs for its existence does not imply it does not exist." In my view, the analogy would be "I have never hears it quacks. I have never seen it walks, and I have never seen its whole body." Is it possible that it is not a duck? Yes. Would I conclude that it is not a duck? Not yet.

You raise a good point, though. Speculating is part of the fun. I guess I comes from the point of view that unless the competing theories can be eliminated, I should not argue for my preferred theory. And right now I still cannot eliminate other possibilities.

On another topic, I found that fact that Rikka falling back to her chuunibyou fantasy as the last line of defense when cornered emotionally is precisely the problem. Get rid of that practice and she's good to go. Using the phase "her chuunibyou get worse" is a bad choice on my part. In the train scene, I agree that she was normal, but that was because all of her family-problem-catalysts (hometown, grandparents, Touka, etc.) were already out of sight.

Last edited by Hyper; 2012-12-19 at 00:18. Reason: No -> Not yet