View Single Post
Old 2012-09-19, 19:36   Link #252
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Mami Lives Chapter 12
Madoka is Alone, Homura/Sayaka Finale

Walpurgis Night has finally arrived. The main obstacle in my efforts to save Madoka now lies before me. And this time, with the aid of no fewer than four other Puella Magi, I will succeed!

But my steely focus on the gathering clouds, from which Walpurgis Night will soon arrive, is suddenly broken. It’s broken by a now familiar touch being placed upon my shoulder. The touch of Sayaka Miki.

“Wow, you look intense!” Sayaka said to me, in a way that I think was meant to break the tension in the air.

“You, of all people, should know how important this moment is to me.” I reply to her, as I turn my face sideways to gaze at her through one eye.

“I do.” Sayaka said in a warm tone of voice, while she moved in front of me and looked me eye-to-eye, “But please try to relax. You look like you’re carrying the weight of the whole world on your shoulders, Homura! But don’t forget that we’re all here to help. Between the five of us, I’m sure we’ll take out this one witch!”

Sayaka’s words are tinged with a casual confidence that almost offends me. I’ve seen too many disappointments… too many highly unpleasant surprises… to take anything for granted.

And yet, I know that Sayaka means well. In truth, and in fairness, she has been the very picture of a perfect girlfriend since she accepted my confession. She has been kind, attentive, supportive, and surprisingly relaxing to be with. She even managed to briefly move me when she bought me a purplish flower-print kimono when we went shopping together one day.

But in spite of this all, I can’t allow overconfidence to cloud Sayaka, or any of the other magical girls aiding me at this hour. This time, Walpurgis Night must fall, and fall quickly, before Madoka is successfully tempted into intervening.

“We can’t afford to be overconfident here.” I said sternly to Sayaka, “There are too many lives at stake. Too many peo…”

Sayaka then startled me a bit by placing one finger on my lips.

“I know, Homura.” Sayaka said in a somber tone, “I’m well-aware of the gravity of the situation. How can I not be? You’ve talked to me about Walpurgis Night almost every day since our relationship began. And that’s precisely why I want to put your mind at ease, and reassure you. I want you to know that you can count on the rest of us. You can especially count on me.”

Sayaka’s words carry such weight and warmth. The romantic motivation behind them is unmistakeable. The day that I have to end this charade is going to be painful…

But for now, I may as well make use of it in order to assure victory over Walpurgis Night. So I pull Sayaka in close to me, as I wrap one arm around her white cape, and place one hand on the side of her head, running my fingers through her hair.

“Your support is truly invaluable to me, Sayaka…” I whisper demurely into her ear, “Yes, I do count on you. Please don’t let me down… my love.”

I then softly kiss the corner of Sayaka’s mouth, and softly back away. I can tell, almost instantly, how deeply stirred Sayaka is by my words and actions here. She blushes brightly, and her face looks firm.

“I-I won’t let you down!” Sayaka said to me, while gripping her cape in a theatrical motion, “I won’t fail you, Homura.”

“Ok, that’s enough of that sappy stuff!” Kyouko Sakura suddenly interjects with a tone of irritation, as she steps between Sayaka and I, looking displeased.

Mami Tomoe looks amused by Sakura’s reaction, while Hitomi Shizuki looks somewhat queasy. I guess this really is “Forbidden Love” for Shizuki-san.

“Let’s get this party started already!” Sakura-san declared with a wide, mischievous smile, while pocky hangs out of her mouth as though it were a cigarette.

And with that, my plan begins to be put into motion…

From the storage compartment on my time-freeze device, I bring forth enough ammunition to fight a small war with. Rocket launchers surround me almost like an endless array of swords. They are but a small opening salvo out of everything that I have prepared.

I could sense Sayaka beaming at me with pride, but also with a touch of nervousness.

“Nobody prepares for battle like you do, Homura, that’s for sure!” Sayaka stated smilingly to me.

“Yeah, but she better be careful with that much weaponry, or she’ll destroy the city herself!” Sakura-san quickly responded.

“Homura’s not that sloppy.” Sayaka said to Sakura-san, while looking sideways at her, “I’m sure we can depend on her!”

“It is I who am depending on the rest of you.” I stated sternly, “The use of these conventional arms will merely put a chink in Walpurgis Night’s armor.”

“And then we will use that chink to finish the job!” Sayaka exclaimed, while pumping a fist.

Well… I can’t help but grin slightly over how my own romantically-scented motivations had worked on Sayaka.

Walpurgis Night was then bathed in a relentless fire of rockets bursting in air. I then took control of a large transport truck and drove it directly into the freakishly smiling maw of Walpurgis Night. After jumping off that truck, I was caught in midair by the whitish-bluish streak of Sayaka.

“We’ll take care of the rest!” Sayaka said to me, after she carefully landed on her feet, and gently placed me down in a standing position.

“Yeah, let’s do this!” Sakura-san exclaimed.

Sayaka and Sakura then both sprinted into combat, engaging the rainbow-colored shades of fallen magical girls that Walpurgis Night had thrown against me. As I had planned, they proved sufficient for dealing with this cannon fodder, keeping the field of combat clear for me to assess. More importantly, it would eventually allowed Hitomi Shizuki’s horse-drawn chariot to carry herself and Mami Tomoe within close striking distance of Walpurgis Night!

Twenty-five minutes of battle had passed with such ferocity and speed, but everything was going to plan. The Gates of Brandenburg would now lead the way to a Trio Tiro Finale!

Now, Tomoe-san!” I shouted at her as loudly as my voice could carry, “Finish it off!

“Now, Mami-san!” I hear Shizuki-san cry in frenzied excitement, echoing my own command.

Tomoe-san then leapt out of Shizuki’s chariot, and took hold of the final giant glistening gun of the three.

“TRIO TIRO FINALE!!!”

All three guns are discharged simultaneously, having the impact of three separate Tiro Finales! Walpurgis Night screams in horror as it is incinerated in the blast.

I feel a great and mighty relief wash over me. I allow myself to become entranced by that marvelous relief. Finally, my precious Madoka, I have saved you! At last, my wish and my promise have been achieved.

Sayaka and Sakura-san initially shout triumphantly, but Sayaka soon turns her eyes unto me. There is such a serene and loving smile on her face as she looks at me. With that look and smile, I can tell that Sayaka is saying to me “See, Homura? I was right. And you were right to count on the rest of us.”

Given the emotional intensity of the moment, I couldn’t help but to return Sayaka’s smile with a similar one of my own. But then… the look on Sayaka’s face changes from comforting serenity to sheer panic!

With a barely perceptible bluish-whitish flash, Sayaka sprints towards me with all her might!

Normally I’d be clear-headed enough to freeze time at this juncture, to determine what it is that so suddenly sprung Sayaka into action. But with my mind having given way at last to relief and relaxation, I was caught off-guard. And I was pushed several feet backwards by Sayaka’s outstretched arm and hand.

But as I collapsed unto my side, what I saw next was as horrifying as it was startling! Sayaka was now buried under a large piece of debris!

For the briefest of moments, the old weak girl I used to be reasserts herself. In the blink of an eye, the shy glasses-wearing, braided twin-tails, girl I used to be is who I become again. I shake and tremble and frown in terror at the sight of Sayaka crushed under rubble. My mind freezes while my heart weeps. I feel consumed by so many strong and conflicted emotions. But strongest amongst them is sadness… sadness and shame.

I hear Sakura-san curse loudly once she realizes what has happened to Sayaka. I also can make out her screaming at me to do something, although it sounds to me as though her voice is coming through a long and distant tunnel.

Finally, after briefly being in a state of shock, I hear and feel the relatively gentle slap of Mami Tomoe’s hand against the side of my face.

“Homura-chan!” she exclaims to me, before taking hold of my shoulders with her two hands and shaking me slightly, “Snap out of it!”

“… I-I… I don’t know..” I begin stammering, searching in vain for the right words to say.

“Wow, you really do love her, don’t you?” I hear the voice of Hitomi Shizuki coming from behind me.

“Look.” Mami said firmly to me, but with a tone of sympathy, “I know how much Sayaka now means to you, but that’s precisely why we need you to regain your senses! It’s going to take all of us working together to ensure that Sayaka survives this.”

“R-right.” I manage in reply, able to make it only due to how obvious a reply it is to make.

Kyouko had already moved most of the rubble away from Sayaka, and now Hitomi and I saw to it that Sayaka received immediate first aid. Sayaka had been rendered unconscious, and she had some nasty lacerations all over one side of her body. I think she had suffered some broken ribs, a dislocated shoulder, and some torn leg ligaments.

“She’s still alive.” Sakura-san said, after taking Sayaka’s pulse and breathing a sigh of relief.

“Ok, then this is what we will do.” Tomoe-san said, taking charge given how I was still in a disoriented daze, “I’m going to head off to find Madoka, to tell her that we’re all Ok and that Walpurgis Night has been defeated. As for the rest of you, make sure you see to it that Sayaka gets continuing medical attention and is watched over until she regains consciousness! Now, we need to find a good and safe location to move her…”

“Our meeting place.” I interject, as I at last regain my mental composure.

“We should move Sayaka to our secret Puella Magi meeting place.” I state, reinforcing my suggestion, as I think I initially took the others by surprise with it.

“That’s probably a good idea.” Tomoe-san responded, “Ok, I’ll meet back up with you all there! I’ll bring Madoka to that place too.”

Shizuki-san was thankfully good with handling medical emergencies, and so we were able to give Sayaka proper medical attention. Sayaka’s own regeneration abilities saw to the rest, as we carefully went about moving her to our Puella Magi meeting place.

But while Shizuki and Sakura saw to it that Sayaka’s condition had stabilized, I felt my heart continue to be consumed with debilitating shame.

This is a girl that I had crudely used, that I had pretended to be in love with. And yet, the love she now felt for me was clearly strong and sincere. So sincere, in fact, that she severely endangered her own life in an attempt to save mine. And am I now to coldly dump her? End our romance when she has done nothing wrong? And yet, that was precisely what I had planned to do at the safest and most convenient moment.

I’m horrible. Detestable. Despicable.

In one fell swoop, I had betrayed both Madoka and cavalierly played with Sayaka’s heart.

I should feel immeasurable relief and joy over having saved Madoka from contracting as a Puella Magi in order to combat Walpurgis Night. But instead, my mind is now plagued with the thought of how can I possibly handle my current relationship with Sayaka.

At last, Sayaka begins to stir and awaken. The first sound emanating from her lips is my name…

“Hom… Homura.” I hear her say weakly, but with such deep emotion.

It is enough to bring tear droplets to my eyes once more. I walk slowly towards Sayaka as she continues to call out my name from a lying position.

She reaches one arm and one hand towards me, and I gently take hold of it with one of my own.

“I… I guess that wasn’t the smoothest… of rescues… huh?” I hear Sayaka joke in self-depreciating humor, as she forced a reassuring smile, “I’m not… as smooth as you are… but at least I saved you. I’m so relieved that I saved you… Homura…”

The tear droplets in my eyes then turned to uncontrollable weeping.

“I’m just relieved that you’re alive, Sayaka.” I say, startling even myself by how sincere those words where.

I then lowered my upper body on top of Sayaka’s, and gently wrapped my arms around her, taking care to not disturb any of her injuries or wounds.

Even Shizuki-san couldn’t help but to be moved by the scene, as I felt her place a comforting hand on my shoulder.

By the time that Madoka had arrived, a stunning self-revelation had been made by me. I found myself really, truly caring about Sayaka. Was I actually falling in love with Sayaka? Was that why I felt a different sort of shame when I first saw Madoka enter into this scene along with Tomoe-san?

Upon arriving in this secret place, Madoka had immediately rushed to Sayaka’s side, reflecting their long and close friendship. The two friends shared a hug of their own, and Madoka’s eyes were filled with tears as my own were.

I could hear Sakura-san sigh and complain over how sappy and melodramatic this was all becoming, but I think that Sakura-san herself was very relieved at Sayaka’s survival.

But I could not feel such relief, at least not such relief alone. For I had many very hard and difficult decisions to make in the days and weeks to come…

Sayaka-chan thankfully survived a close brush with death. I was very happy about that, and I was also very happy at how all of her and my newfound friends had survived!

In the wake of the Walpurgis Night incident, I saw many new relationships grow and develop.

Hitomi and Kamijou grew ever-closer together. He seemed completely infatuated with her. Of course, there is a disturbing truth behind that… Nonetheless, they seemed happy together, and I do think that Hitomi sincerely loves him, so in time I was willing to be mildly supportive of their relationship. It certainly helped that Sayaka appeared to be in a happy romance of her own!

Sayaka and Homura-chan had become very tight girlfriends. Homura occasionally seems shy and curt over all of the attention that Sayaka shows her. What’s the famous term that so succinctly sums up how Homura acts towards Sayaka? Tsundere, I think it is? While Homura occasionally seems irritated by Sayaka’s attention, it’s also clear by how Homura acts around Sayaka that Homura loves her. And Sayaka herself seems quite blissful over their relationship.

Thankfully, Hitomi and Sayaka both still make some time for the friendship between the three of us. Although we don’t spend as much time together as we used to, it’s certainly a great weight off of my heart for the three of us to be friends again in spite of the harsh battle that Hitomi and Sayaka had become caught up in.

However, I started seeing less and less of Mami-san. I think that she and Kyouko were now hanging out together more often.

The one sad part of all of this is it did leave me feeling a bit left out at times. Part of me does feel some regret. As I think things over in my mind, I could have easily been in a nice romance myself. I had temporarily been very close to Mami-san.

And Sayaka had confessed to me… and to this day I wonder if rejecting that confession was wise or not.

For now, while I have many friends, I am romantically alone. All of those erotic yet disturbing dreams I had before this Puella Magi whirlwind took over my life… all of them seemed like strange and distant memories. Were those dreams ever really premonitions? Am I truly attracted to girls?

These questions rest uneasily in my mind, as I can’t help but dwell on all the romantic opportunities that I allowed to slip by…

Nonetheless, my friends are all healthy and well, in spite of many dangerous struggles, even amongst themselves! I should take comfort in that alone, and continue to be supportive of my friends and the romances that they may find themselves in.

Every now and then I see sad regret in Homura’s eyes as she looks at me. I wonder what this might signify. In any event, I want Homura and Sayaka to be happy together, so I hope that such looks of regret will not come from Homura’s eyes much longer.

And I myself will eventually learn to move forward without regret as well. It’s with such thoughts moving me on that I made a final rejection to Kyubey’s attempts to persuade me to become a Puella Magi. After all, there’s now more than enough magical girls to protect Mitakihara Town!

Much like what Homura said to me the first day that I met her, I should just live the life of a normal girl, and be content with that. I just hope that one day I might find somebody that I can love romantically too…

The End (Mami Lives, MIA, White Chocolate End)

--------------------------------------------------------------------

Well, I hope this update is a pleasant surprise to some regular readers, as very late as it is.

I won't have time to update this fanfic as frequently as I did in the past, and with as much length per update as in the past, but I should be able to put out a little something every now and then anyway. Times when I have back-to-back days off from work... Those times I should be able to manage a short update at least.

This now ends this particular Madoka Is Alone subroute. Two MIA subroutes remain, and I hope to deal with both of them in my next update.

I'm very curious to know what people (especially regular readers) thought of this latest update. Mostly I'd like to know if you felt it's quality is on par with what I've wrote before. For if it is, that'll make it easier for me to continue on with this fanfic when opportunity arises.

Well, this subroute brings us what is perhaps the crackiest ship possible out of the entire main cast of Madoka Magica. As cracky as it is, I hope people enjoyed reading it! ^_^

Last edited by Triple_R; 2012-09-19 at 19:53.
Triple_R is offline   Reply With Quote