Thread: Licensed Simoun
View Single Post
Old 2006-07-21, 15:32   Link #998
m000m000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaoru Chujo
Furoe is one of my (many) favorites. I don't find her annoying at all. She's Miss Natural. She doesn't hold back, but comes right out with her feelings.
I guess you're right. In my case it doesn't help much though, since in my eyes half the time she opens her mouth she makes herself sound like a shameless whiney brat that makes you roll your eyes and go "look who's talking". I just inherently dislike people/characters like that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wowo
I don't get what's so great about Yun. She's cool, but she barely says or does anything. I mean 2nd place? That's a pretty impressive rank!
Well, if I'd be looking at the whole thing objectively in terms of character complexity I'd be inclined to agree (In that case the clear leads should be Nevile, Paraietta, Aeru and Dominura, IMO). But it's a popularity contest, and she's definitively got the goods, so to speak, in that she has plenty of factors that push the right buttons on a good deal of people (including me).
I mean, what's not to like about a would-be tough and distant but also visibly scarred girl, who talks like a man, and while unusually direct in her confrontations others (...and yet, avoids them! It's an interesting mix), is anything but masculine in-character. The conflicting speech and demeneor/visuals is one of those things I find especially cute in her. Moe desu yo! That's not to say that's all that there is to her, though...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guppy
Yun's gravity seems to come from her stoicism (bordering on fatalism, as Aeru has pointed out) in the face of bad circumstances. She's lost friends, come to terms with it and kept on going; and unlike virtually every other member of the Chor, we haven't seen her show any serious emotional weakness yet.
No, she's showed up she has her weakness from the very first episode we met her in.

The reason she doesn't talk much and mingles minimally with the others, is because of her past and out of the fear of having it repeated again. So in response to that she projects this hard shell of being someone who doesn't need anyone or attachment to others around her - It's a defensive mechanism set to prevent further break-downs should loss of nearby people occur again. If you have nothing invested, you have nothing to loose.

But clearly this is something that's slowly started to fall apart during the course of the series.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guppy
Like Dominura, Yun is also doing her job, but it's a job she hates and which she knows is likely to get her killed. She's somehow managed to accept that and keep going anyway, which I suppose would tend to put everything else in perspective for her.
I don't really see that as acceptance. She feels a heavy burden of personal guilt hanging over her from being the only one alive from her old friends.

Dominura was doing her job because she thought she was "doing the right thing", both in terms of herself and the general people around her. She liked/was "happy" with what she was doing. She had a personal goal, a purpose, and she was going to make sure she'd achive it.

Yun's doing her job because her concious won't let her stop, even if she'd want to. She's doing it out of obligation, not out of her own free will. Now, that obligation may be a logical/moral fallacy that only exists in her head - I'll take it she blames the deaths of her friends partly on herself or just otherwise guilt for "being the only one left and not being able to 'do anything'/prevent her friends from meeting their fate".

But in the end, whether the obligation or duty that drives oneself forward is a logically sensible or morally just one doesn't matter - The outcome is the same as long as it is an obligation, a duty for you, instead of a personal goal or purpose you'd want to achive or do.

By her own words, Yun hates what she's doing. But she'd hate herself more if she'd just give in and quit - She'd "betray" her old friends who died in battle.
The fact she may die in the process of fulfilling this moral obligation of hers doesn't matter to her - anymore - Because - She's already lost it all once. Since she because of that now technically has "nothing to lose", she's out to make sure that she, nor anyone else out there, is not going to suffer what she's gone through because of her.

Ergo, the reason why she keeps herself relatively distant from the others.

So to sum it up, Yun's seeking atonement through martyrdom, to put it very... strongly. Well, that's kind of a too strong expression, but I think it covers her tought logic (or what we've been shown of it so far) relatively well.

Obviously, that's not a very... healthy life philosophy. You can see plenty of subtle cracks in it already, but I bet(/hope) we will see it all come tumbling down at a later point. Remember just how strongly she reacted to Aeru's remark about her virtually having a deathwish? She may be no-nonsense and insightful when dealing with the others, but can't(or doesn't want to) see the forrest for the trees when it comes to dealing with herself .

But I guess we'll have to wait for Paraietta's downward spiral to hit rock-bottom first. Personally I hope there are some spikes in that pit .

Well, that's my take on her character. Obviously she could just have grown very strong from her events, but I think she has a clear air of fragilty or sadness around her character, which probably was, again, best exposed in Aeru's confrontation with her in the episode she's introduced.

Quote:
I think that's really why her judgement is unclouded - Yun doesn't really seem to have much personal investment in what she's doing, although she does it to the best of her ability.
Yeah, her attitude allows her to see the rest of the Chor unclouded, but she paid a rather hefty personal price for that ability .

In a way she's "been there, done that, got the T-shirt" in a lot of things (but not "everything" - She obviouslly has issues herself, as noted above) compared to the others because of her past - Probably most directly seen in her golden moment of exposing Paraietta's transculency to herself - What Yun's telling Paraietta there is essentially a direct reflection of herself and her moral driving force.

Incidentally, it's also the first time she admits, though indirectly, that she has some affection for the people around her (Given the subject of discussion, I don't think she was speaking in a roundbout general way). I mean she essentially said she'd be the fist to help out when/if her friends are in trouble.

The clock is ticking Yun, the Clock is ticking...

Quote:
Yun does the best she can in any situation and rarely complains. I'm not surprised she's won fans who appreciate her quiet, no-nonsense attitude compared to the drama queens, human typhoons and psychological basket cases that make up the rest of the Chor.
You forgot to mention incestous rapists as well

But this Is a golden summarization of a lot of things, and thus quoted for Truth .
m000m000 is offline   Reply With Quote