View Single Post
Old 2010-08-22, 16:03   Link #1
getfresh
done
*Fansubber

Common mistakes made by fansubbers

Since no one every really just nicely lists the common screws ups by fansubbers I figured it would be nice to do it without being an asshole about it, i.e. "omg your group sucks for not knowing this you noob!" I only have one to start with as I noticed it recently in many fansubs, I hope others will add to the list, nicely.

When adding foreign language character sets into subs, many groups have been forgetting that the common viewer does not have all foreign scripts supported, thus softsubs will give them "blocks", or blank characters. Please consider this when using softsubs as your release format. It is not just new less experienced groups I have seen with this issue, but a few well respected. It is easy to forget that this will happen since fansubbers pretty much all have east/asian text support installed.

Like i said in the top part, please feel free to add to the list if you have anything you have noticed that is a trend of sorts in mistakes. I think this will be helpful to many people as sort of a "things to avoid," guide.
getfresh is offline   Reply With Quote