View Single Post
Old 2011-12-26, 13:07   Link #309
Dhomochevsky
temporary safeguard

Quote:
Originally Posted by C.A. View Post
I would like to know what do you consider first steps to those things we won't get soon?

Because as I've mentioned about, scientists have already been working on teleportation and have successfully achieved teleportation of a photon. I consider that a successful first step.

And Dr. Ronald Mallett, who's the one scientist who dedicated his whole life to time travel research, already made a time machine since 2006 and have been experimenting since. No success yet, but that's a first step to achieving time travel.

And also astronauts are all going forward in time due to high velocity and is proven because the same mathematics used to calculate their difference in time is used to calculate and adjust the same time dilations on all the satellites orbiting the planet. All those orbiting satellites are all traveling at speeds at that causes them to experience slower time relative to us people on the surface of the planet. In order to keep them in orbit and send precise information, they need constant adjustments to their clocks.

Alot of times, things thought impossible are actually possible and can be achieved, scientists have already taken first steps and have been working on them.
All of these things you mention are really just new concepts that got those old words attached to them. But they are not what was originally meant by them.

Teleportation:
Only information is being transfered here, no matter of any kind is transfered. In the case described, a photon was already exisiting in both places before the "teleportation". What they did was making that one photon a perfect copy of the other one. But the original photon was still there and "unharmed", after they lost the quantum entanglement and no new photon was created at the target destination.
If you call this teleportation, then you have just sucessfully teleported this text onto your screen too.
The original idea of teleportation transfers matter from one place to another by transforming it into energy and then back into matter.

Time Travel:
Time travel really only makes sense if you go back in time. But you can not do that by going relativistic speeds. You merely "skip" time. Actually, as you have no universal time in a relativistic universe, you can't really apply the idea of time travel to it. It is just time moving at different "speeds" in different places. But anyway, it always moves forward, never backwards.

These two are really the ones where we "know" (within our current theories) that they are in fact impossible. Some of the others are more realistic, as I said above, but I have not heard of any idea that might achieve one of them yet.

As automation is my personal field of work, I can asure you, that we are not even close to manlike robots btw. Maybe we will get the perfect illusion of one sometime soon though.

Last edited by Dhomochevsky; 2011-12-26 at 13:19.
Dhomochevsky is offline   Reply With Quote