View Single Post
Old 2016-09-27, 20:00   Link #13
HirouKeimou

Animation Quality: 8
Never really noticed a drop / paid attention to it. Especially on CG. Maybe it's because this series improved on Frontier models (?) so I didn't really care. Plus, I'm too busy paying attention to how for the first time since Zero, we're given more than one aerial battle in a real sky!

Also, I know how others complained but I loved the art design / character design for Delta over Frontier (seriously, it's outdated because it blends with 90s art styles and is reused in EVOL and AKB0048).

Voice Actors: 7
Everyone is on point, IMO. No one really sounds bad (even live performances of the songs).
Special honorable mentions for Ami Koshimizu (Mikumo), Kiyono Yasuno (Kaname), and Asami Seto (Mirage), who do fantastic jobs in this series overall!

Script: 7
I'll give this one a higher rating because its second half does clear up various plot threads dropped in the first half later on (corrupt NUNS dude, Roid plans, Wright incident) so it's not too bad.

Of course I'm glad for HayaFre ending, all of their scenes, especially in the finale!
Seriously, I cheered for the day a ship I supported in a Macross could sail; if everything else in Delta fails, thank you for my ship sailing, Kawamori! Let me be a little more happy about this for a while...

Soundtrack: 8 (Vocal Tracks) and 6 (Musical Themes)
Splitting this into two ratings because it's deserving of individual critique for each section.

The soundtrack itself is no Yoko Kanno; seriously, only a handful are good or memorable (honorable mention to Rhapsody In C Minor and Sad Battlefield).

The vocal ones save Delta on music; because seriously, for a person who dislikes idol groups (and didn't like music at all in AKB0048), I enjoyed vocals in Delta. Special mention for Absolute 5 (seriously, their voices coming together in that final chorus), Destructive Purity, Ikenai Borderline, God Bless You, and oh yes; need to include an honorable mention for Neo Stream because it's instrumental segment is gold!
Of course, it's not all perfect nor is Frontier (Don't Be Late, for example); but it's blending with sequences in the series and it's kind of the point of insert vocal tracks anyway.

Editing: 9
There are a couple of shaky bits (like randomly jumping scenes midway for pointless reasons); however, it's overall solid.

Enjoyment: 8
More so than Frontier, I loved aspects of this series.

The first half is a good ride, and oh boy do I now rehash how Delta soared in those first 13 episodes for a majority of people (even myself). The second half is a little bumpy; it's not perfect but neither is Star Wars or Gundam or The Lord of the Rings; or especially Frontier; and people can still enjoy those series' regardless of flaws. Overall, it's not a bad series!

And, for a fan of Macross, it's not a bad continuation of the franchise. (Disagree if you like, I don't care for your nostalgia anymore than you care about mine.)

Emotional Involvement: 7
I loved characterization in Delta. Of course, not Mirage specifically (it'll rehash old wounds here); however, I liked Hayate and Freyja (relationship aside), Mikumo because she's an amazing girl regardless of how plot handles her, and Roid because he's a power-hungry dude who loses sight of his endgame later on (and it's played off so well in comparison to Grace).

Triangular is handled alright from hindsight; because I now know it's more of a "both girls love dude for specific reasons and it's all up to him for choosing, however friendship and mission come first" kind of ordeal versus how Frontier handled it (both girls aggressively chasing him). It's a good change, I believe; and it's all the more cool when Mirage is able to confess her feelings and be fine with herself (because she said her piece). So yes; I believe the love triangle is a good emotional investment upon re-watch because it's a good show of how these 3 characters become "best friends" over the series to the point where which girl he picks will not "make or break" their friendship.

Overall: 7
It's not perfect; however, I loved a number of things about Delta which is not in Frontier (characters, triangle, and music aside).

I'll gladly sink money into Delta for it's good bits (especially it's vocal albums) and hope for a movie for clearing up this rushed ending.

Overall, it's an alright ride (not completely satisfying; but I again felt this for Frontier...).
HirouKeimou is offline   Reply With Quote