View Single Post
Old 2007-02-26, 17:37   Link #730
Zero1
Two bit encoder
*Fansubber

So while I sit here on family tech support, fixing peoples mistakes (aka I magically killed Windows and need you to fix it), recovering shit from some archaic computer using a Knoppix live CD (praise be to opensource devs everywhere) and using a HDD Walkman as an external harddrive because I'm so out of space; I thought I might try to provoke some thoughts. It's something I was thinking the other day, having attempted to distance myself from encoding/fansubbing, move back to gaming, failing and somehow getting roped back into it all.

It's been around 4 months since I decided to move back gaming, and I thought to myself, "Where is the scene now?"

This of course can be interpreted in many ways; what's hot/what's not, is oversubbing/speedsubbing still an issue, what's the latest drama; but what I was getting at is the ASP to H.264 transition, and also AVI to MP4/MKV.

Here's a few things to ponder.

1) Are you happy with the way things are going; ie do you think it's taken fair time, or too damn long?
2) What do you see as obstacles (if any) to the adoption of H.264 and/or modern containers?
3) How do you think you/we can assist adoption, if possible? Are you doing anything? Are you bothered? What are you doing?
4) Do you ever forsee a total switch to the newer formats, as we did with DivX 3.11 > XviD (SP to ASP), or do you think that with AVI having been the defacto standard for so long, that it will simply co-exist?
5) Do you think there should be an indefinite transition period, or should groups/scene somewhat agree on a cutoff date of sorts (like how terrestrial TV will soon be shut down leaving digital only)?

I perhaps already know what a few people will already say, but to answer some of my own questions:

1) No, I'm not happy with the transition, and it's taken too long compared with the previous transition, granted that this time there are new containers to deal with also, yet it shouldn't be an issue. I've been using x264 for almost 2 years now, give or take a month or two; and I'm sure I wasn't the first to make the change. Also it's probably fair to say that x264 has offered advantages over XviD for 2 years or more now, so it begs the question, "Why change only now?"

2) I cannot single out one thing, so if I choose something fansubber side it would be the familiarity/ease of use of Virtualdub (and ultimately AVI; Virtualdub is not to blame, it's just people are so attached to it and VfW).

Leecher side, I say the one of the bigger issues is file extension. People managed years back when the transition was between MPEG-4 SP (or MS'/DivX bastardisation of it) and ASP in AVI, since you were only required to install a codec. The files are still associated to whatever software it already was. Perhaps you got some people whining about CPU usage requirements (what with the addition of B-frames, QPEL, GMC), but on the whole it wasn't much of a task to install one video decoder. Now you have the issue that you require a video decoder, audio decoder and splitter (in most cases); and also that double clicking files doesn't make them play in your favourite player, the horror! (so perhaps add a registry entry, or some manual association to that loooong list of requirements).

This is what I see as one of the issues, it's no longer as simple as installing one decoder, you now install two decoders, a splitter and associate the files (which is all a one off and maintenance is very low to none), fortunately however, it seems that other encoders noticed this, and as a result, CCCP exists. They are now given an easy, single installer that performs those tasks for them so now they only have to execute one installer, just like back in the AVI days.

3) I have pimped H.264 to a few groups I have been involved with, also pimped it to some individuals I hang around with who tend to edit AMVs, also written encoding and playback guides and everyone that has made the change loves it and would not look back. They are that impressed with the quality and filesizes. I have also pimped CCCP, helped out on occasion, and of course longposted in legendary threads. I don't want to give myself a big head, but I've done what I can to basically promote encoding H.264 and point out easy playback methods; so yes I am bothered. I enjoy encoding, and these are interesting times. The previous transition wasn't all that exciting because it was merely moving from SP to ASP, but this time we are eventually ditching AVI also, so it's double the challenge/benefit.

4) Unfortunately my crystal ball is out of order at the moment. I don't really know what to expect. If I had to make some kind of prediction, I would guess that AVI would drag it's feet for many years as MP4/MKV grow even more popular, but I don't see it ever dying; in fact I expect it to linger indefinitely like MPG. Virtualdub, XviD, Lagarith and Co. are just too damn convenient to throw away for good. We will all be guilty of doing "quick and dirty" XviD's at some point in the future (eg previewing something).

5) As with the last question, this is difficult for me to answer. Personally, I think I'd like to see a set transition date, but there are a number of issues. First is "How much of a community is your community?". I think you'd have a hard to impossible time getting fansub groups to make a global transition. You see groups share the same standards when it suits them, such as everyone using XviD, MP3 and AVI, yet they cannot agree to, or work out something to lower oversubbing (or rather, attempts have been made but it still happens a lot). Even if a transition date were set and adhered to, there would always be opportunists popping up with new subbing groups, or transcoding groups fighting for the adoration of the leechers. In the end it could even be detrimental if transcoding groups were doing a substandard job.

What I have found interesting with the transition so far is that there is no clear cut "scene standard" like there was with XviD, MP3 and AVI. It's not uncommon to find H.264 and/or ASP used with AAC and/or MP3 in MP4, or additionally Vorbis and/or AC3 in MKV. Perhaps this is due to us having more choice, now in part from us not being tied down due to AVI.

Perhaps I have answered all my own questions a bit too much and no one will have anything to reply with On that note, it's back to tech support

By the way, this machine I'm "fixing" seems to be a P3 950Mhz (Coppermine) with 256MB RAM. So anyone up for some non scientific testing?