View Single Post
Old 2013-02-17, 12:04   Link #158
GoldenLand
Eaten by goats

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qilin View Post
Well, from the looks of it, you guys seem to have a very kneejerk negative reaction to the term "sociopath" or "psychopath" for that matter, but whatever.

Another interesting thing to note is that these described "psychopaths" are essentially the closest human beings are to being objective thinkers. They're essentially free of human values and morals, and that allows them to see things as they truly are. Perhaps what people find so scary about such individuals is how "free" they are to do whatever they decide to do, unfettered by unnecessary empathy or guilt.
...I was about to quote a couple of things in your previous posts which seemed really odd in the way they glorified psychopaths, but here you've basically come out and said that you think psychopaths are superior to other people. They're not. The worst of them will go in for criminal activity, although many do not. (And sometimes you can often tell them by the way they do things to hurt people and never feel bad about it or accept any personal responsibility for it.) They are essentially free riders upon the rest of society; they're only out for themselves and don't care about anyone else. If most people were psychopaths, society couldn't function, and people (including psychopaths) would not be able to reap the benefits that society provides us. Morals and empathy for others are extremely useful.

Psychopaths are not objective. They are extremely self centered and biased! They're thinking "me! me! me!" all the time. They're arrogant. Thinking that people who lack empathy towards others magically become supremely logical and are thus the ideal thinkers and leaders for bringing the best society to others is absurd.

Heck, some of the main characteristics people have considered to be hallmarks of psychopathy include: not having a realistic view of themselves or their lives, difficulty in making realistic long term plans or learning from experience, feelings of grandiose self worth, and a failure to accept responsibility for their own actions. But now they are supposed to be the perfect objective thinkers? Pull the other one, it's got bells on.

Speaking specifically of Psycho-Pass here, look at the Sybil brains. They're not objective. They're drunk on power, and there's no doubt about it. They're going around thinking "Heeeheeee, I'm a god! I'm above you all, pulling all your strings and making all the decisions about what happens to you all! I'm special, and I'll recruit other people who are special like me." It may well turn out that the Sybil set up is one which is so seductive for them that they're willing to become the "law", at least to a limited extent, but it doesn't change them into being good people with good judgement.

As others have pointed out, Masaoka's crime co-efficient went up until he accepted the Sybil system. Yayoi's went up after she started listening to music that the Sybil system disapproved of. Kougami's started to go up after he became fixated on solving the murder of someone one of the Sybil brains had killed. It's hard to believe, after hearing Touma talk, that the Sybil brains are objective and acting in people's best interests rather than in the interests of preserving the system that gives the brains their "I'm a god!" kicks. Not least that psychopaths really don't give a damn about other people. Why should they be able to make better decisions than, say, Kougami or Tsunemori?