View Single Post
Old 2007-05-15, 13:17   Link #17
Crovax
A2000A
*Fansubber

Send a message via ICQ to Crovax Send a message via AIM to Crovax Send a message via MSN to Crovax Send a message via Yahoo to Crovax
Quote:
Originally Posted by chaos4ever View Post
I disagree with this sentiment on the angle that fansubbing is a very decentralized process and there are really no set standards on fansubs as a whole.
Unless I am misunderstanding tun's sentiment, the phrase 'we should start pushing' indicates the attempt to start a trend/custom which implies making it pretty widespread. Of course fansubbers are as diverse as the series they fansub, but it does not detract from the fact that even if only half of the fansubs become less accessible the body of available fansubs as a whole suffers too. I know of no particularly strong correlation between editing choices made by groups and their viewership among 'newbie anime-watchers', but then again, I've never given it too much thought.

In short, fansubbing is certainly decentralized as you point out, however that doesn't change the relevance of the concern I voice, since the indirect topic at hand deals with 'pushing' for a general change (presumably through 'opinion-making' threads like these) in the opinions and practices of a great many fansubbers. (Believing us to have such power would, I might add, be a bit arrogant. But that does not make the question less valid.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaos4ever View Post
Most of the smaller startup/speedsub groups will most likely not pick up the more complicated standards at the sacrifice of ease/speed of the sub for accuracy, so there will always be some version of a given series that will be accessible to the uninitiated anime watcher.
- I don't get what you're saying about speedsubbers. I could just as easily say that they would be extra eager to apply these sort of things, since it makes editing less ambigious, thus faster and easier.

- "Some version of a given series"?
Firstly, there are some series which do not enjoy having half a dozen fansub groups subbing it start to end. </understatement>
Secondly, how exactly do you expect the so-called 'uninitiated anime watcher' to discern which version would be best for them? Even experienced people can't tell at a glance without being led by preconception.

P.S. To potato: One line of romaji obviously doesn't mean the end of the world. That is why I spoke of trends. ("well on the way towards", "by induction" etc.) Not subbing -tachi is fundamentally different from not subbing honorifics, as pointed out by many before me.

P.P.S. I would like to add that I am not particularly against leaving character-specific speech mannerisms untranslated. By all means let Misuzu say "Gao" in the subs. ;-) And leaving certain show-specific phrases/terms untranslated can add some extra coolness. ("Kage Bunshin no Jutsu!") But again, -tachi does none of these things.

Last edited by Crovax; 2007-05-15 at 13:29.
Crovax is offline   Reply With Quote