View Single Post
Old 2009-08-20, 09:34   Link #392
sarahwest

Quote:
Originally Posted by ijuinkun View Post
Ok, I don't know if any of you have noticed this, but take a look at the writing on the headbands that everybody in the SOS-dan are wearing at the sports meet. Each one is a joke about the character wearing it.

Haruhi: ko-haru-hi-yori ("Fair Spring Weather"--notice that the second and third kanji make up "Haruhi")

Koizumi: read as ko-i-zu-mi, though the meaning of the characters is different from the ones that his name are written with.

Nagato: oku-man chouja ("one who has 100,000,000 times 10,000"--in other words, a trillionaire--reckoned in yen, a trillion yen is about US$8-11 billion these days) Notice that the third kanji is the same "naga" as in "Nagato".

Mikuru: Zen-jin Mirai--"Predecessor from the future"--note that the kanji "rai" in "Mirai" (future) can be read "kuru", so "Mirai" can be read "Mikuru"--yes, this makes Mikuru's name a pun for "future".

Kyon: Seigi Ippatsu--"Justice by a hair's breadth" (i.e. the good guys win by the skin of their teeth)--this is the only one that is not a reference to the character's name, but then again we don't actually know Kyon's full name. However, the idea of winning by a hair's breadth fits in with Haruhi's desire to win while still feeling challenged, and Kyon's feeling that they cut it way too close much of the time.
<--This is by far the most accurate/possible explanation I've read so far, though i dont know if i got the explanation of Kyon's headband right.

""Justice by a hair's breadth" (i.e. the good guys win by the skin of their teeth)" = simply put as a close win? (that race wasnt really so close )