View Single Post
Old 2010-08-10, 12:47   Link #1277
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragoZERO View Post
Kimikiss was awesome. The only reason it was a disaster was because of otaku fanboys.

Indeed. They should split the girls among the BD/DVDs. Otherwise the unpopular ones won't get sold.
Well... those guys in Japan are the MAIN audience. Much as I liked the Kimikiss anime (and yeah, I pre-ordered it for the R1 release), I recognize that it was too far out of the "usual rut" for the otaku and their fantasies. And they're the ones with the biggest wallets.

I *prefer* interwoven drama... but that not what the source material (ero-games) sell for the most part. The parallel universe or omnibus solution seems to be a winning idea for domestic fans because it most closely follows the game experience of going down one route at a time. I have to say I'm reasonably entertained by the omnibus concept.

The only other choices that work *sometimes* are the "whole series one route" (e.g. Lamune) or the "triangle" (e.g. Canvas 2) where many of the routes are simply left out or truncated into small problem-solving moments. The skills of the average production staff simply don't seem to be up to adapting/integrating story threads.