Thread: Kannagi - Q & A
View Single Post
Old 2011-10-25, 10:45   Link #81
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mazryonh View Post
From the Sankaku Complex reports, it seems that seiyuu who happen upon "instant fame" like the K-ON! seiyuu are most subject to this virginity obsession. [...] I have to wonder how this lopsided attention comes about.
Well, again, impossible to answer this with straight facts, but the older a celebrity becomes, the less likely they are to remain single, and once the illusion has been crushed, the obsessed fans may move on to another target. The "instant starlets" are the least likely to have been "already corrupted", as it were.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mazryonh View Post
But I could never understand how the fantasy of "being the star's first" came about. It seems like a rather severre disconnect with reality. You don't know them aside from a childish obsession, and they don't know you. Why would that be a good foundation for an intimate romantic relationship?
Well, the fan may feel that they understand the celebrity quite well, so they may believe there's a good foundation for a relationship if only the celebrity would only give them a chance. A lot of Japanese romantic fiction aimed at this market features "chance encounters" and "mismatched status" and relationships that work out in spite of major differences (we may even call this sort of fantasy "romantic" in other contexts, and it too isn't unique to Japan). That aside, crazy is crazy; the celebrity image is just as manufactured as the personality of a 2D character. It's because many recognize that it's crazy and unreasonable that it turned into something of a meme to make fun of these people and their creepy and childish obsession (but the meme is such that you may think these feelings are actually more widespread than they really are).

Anyway, like I said, to discuss this further, we should probably create a new thread, as it's pretty much impossible to answer this sort of question with straight facts. At the end of the day, I think the key point to remember as it relates to Kannagi is that this was, for the most part, a manufactured "fiasco" put on by a group of troublemakers furthering a meme. While there may be some people who really have those sorts of feelings, they are by no means representative of all "otaku".