View Single Post
Old 2011-01-03, 14:00   Link #165
Will Wright

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klashikari View Post
It is certainly not the good thread nor the good timing for that, but I seriously wonder how the hell you can have such conclusion, whereas you definitely didn't read Episode 8, nor actually give credits to the actual "intent" of the author.
This is also why Ange's portion of Episode 8 was at first irrelevant, but became actually pertinent with Ryukishi's intent for this epilogue.

I see no objective issue with people being upset and calling "foul play" with Ryukishi not opening the cat box. But it is going a bit preposterous and out of proportion to declare that he just doesn't have any answer.
As someone who has read episode 8, I agree with Renall, and also have to wonder why you feel the need to point out his reading or not of the episode when his points have no relation to the episode itself, but the series message.

If I were to give you a difficult puzzle and never told you the answer, would it be such a stretch to assume that the puzzle I gave you never had an answer at all?

Let's use poker as an example. If I told you I had a great hand, but refused to show it, it would count as me folding. The rules would assume I was bluffing.

You can't claim you have answers without showing any evidence of such a thing. The moment he refused to open his box, his actual competence was also put inside that box.

At this point, we can claim that he never had an answer in the first place and is just bluffing just as you can claim he has an answer and merely isn't showing it to us.

In a mystery, not showing your hand violates the sense of trust the reader and the writer developed throughout his series. One could argue that since Umineko isn't a mystery, it wouldn't be required to show its hand. But regardless of its mystery status, Ryu's refusal to show us his hand gives us the right to call his bluff.
Will Wright is offline   Reply With Quote