View Single Post
Old 2008-02-04, 13:42   Link #33
james0246

Quote:
Originally Posted by siya View Post
Well..The whole "good vs evil" thing is rahter over rated.......-_-...Did he really choose to be a villian? Does he think "Well, what I'm doing is evil..." or is he thinking "I have a dream, and I'm willing to do anything to get it." The fact is, what he's doing isn't good nor evil....In reality, it's a matter of opinion....Kimimaro, Kabuto, etc...They all followed Orochimaru because he did something for them that they found "good" and felt the owed him something....So that doesn't make him evil. He has a dream and is willing to do anything to get it...Doesn't make it evil...does it make it wrong? It can..I mean, If I were to hit my brother in the face for eating the last bowl of Ramen, is it wrong for hitting him? Yes...Is it evil? Not really. This whole good and evil thing always comes down to a point of opinion and I will argue my opinon on things like this!!! So, Orochimaru evil? In my opinion..No he is not.
Your definition of good and evil is rather...skewed (In fact I am sure many serial killers have used that eact reasoning that you have), but, okay, I can accept that, and I agree I was fairly heavy-handed in my argument of good and evil. You have to admit though, from Konoha's perspective, Orochimaru is evil. I was arguing more from a sociological 'good v. evil' as determined by societal conventions. And by those definition, in the the Konoha Society, Orochimaru is evil.

Added to that, Orochimaru does not have a "dream", he, like Sasuke or Itachi now (with the Eternal MS) and many other Villians, has an obssession. A dream, generally speaking, is something that betters yourself but not at the cost of other (i.e. Naruto's dream of becoming/being Hokage seems to benefit all, not just a few, nor does it seem to really hurt anyone.) An Obssession is a desire that benefits no-one but yourself and oftens requires you to hurt others as well as yourself in order to attain your obssession. Hell, Sasuke even says that he has an obssession not a dream, he realizes that the road he walks will take him into a realm of pain and death and not into a bright and happy future. It could also be said that currently Naruto has an obssession with 'rescuing' Sasuke from himself.
james0246 is offline   Reply With Quote